Looking for any Bb Tuba with 4 valves. Willing to trade.

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
basscelfg
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Looking for any Bb Tuba with 4 valves. Willing to trade.

Post by basscelfg »

Hello,

Im looking to upgrade from my Schiller Bb tuba to something bigger and more versatile. Im on a budget (broke grad. student), but I have my tuba, sousaphone, conn tenor trombone, and several mouthpieces Id be willing to trade to lower the price. Im in Boston MA, but I can travel a few hours.

Thank You!

matt g

Re: Looking for any Bb Tuba with 4 valves. Willing to trade.

Post by matt g »

Might be worth contacting a few places (Dillon, BBC, Joe S., etc.) directly with a budget and see what might come available.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
basscelfg (Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:26 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I have a Mirafone 186 BBb from the late 70s that should be ready in a week or so. Not a looker but it plays very well. Happy to work out a trade or trade + cash. I'm in eastern CT near RI. Shoot me an email at beanhillbrass at gmail if you're interested. Thanks!
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
basscelfg (Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:26 pm)
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

arpthark wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:31 am I have a Mirafone 186 BBb from the late 70s that should be ready in a week or so. Not a looker but it plays very well. Happy to work out a trade or trade + cash. I'm in eastern CT near RI. Shoot me an email at beanhillbrass at gmail if you're interested. Thanks!
I think I was just chatting with humbell this afternoon about that same Mirafone while discussing trades. If you have any 4 piston valve Bb too, Id love to hear about them. Ill sent you an email. Im bassclefg at gmail.
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

matt g wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:24 am Might be worth contacting a few places (Dillon, BBC, Joe S., etc.) directly with a budget and see what might come available.
Thanks, I always assumed music store prices were no negotiable. Im happy to try!
What does BBC stand for? I can only think of the TV station (lol).
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

basscelfg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:33 pmThanks, I always assumed music store prices were no negotiable. Im happy to try!
BBC = Baltimore Brass Company, in Maryland

https://www.baltimorebrasscompany.com/
-Conn 4J BBb tuba with lexan Kellyberg mouthpiece
matt g

Post by matt g »

basscelfg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:33 pm
matt g wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:24 am Might be worth contacting a few places (Dillon, BBC, Joe S., etc.) directly with a budget and see what might come available.
Thanks, I always assumed music store prices were no negotiable. Im happy to try!
Most of the larger places already discount compared to smaller stores but they also might negotiate a bit since they do sell in volume.

In addition to that, they sometimes have inventory that’s “not ready for prime time” that might have a lower price point and/or they might have a lead on peeps wanting to sell their stuff but aren’t serious yet.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
basscelfg (Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:12 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

About 15 years ago, I was a post-doc with a kid and no money and no tuba. I called BBC and talked to Dave Fedderly. I explained my situation and told me didn't have anything in stock that he could sell cheap but he knew some people who previously had things up for consignment and because they wanted too much, never sold. He said he could probably persuade one io them to sell cheap instead of listening to a spouse gripe about an unsold and unplayed tuba. He got back to me a few days later with a great deal on a cosmetically imperfect silver Weril 3/4 CC. That was my only tuba for 10 years, I played the snot out of it in two different honk and bar bands.

I just traded it to a euphonium player friend, who wanted to noodle on tuba, in exchange for a newish Chinese compensating euphonium that he worked over to make really nice.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
basscelfg (Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:13 pm)
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
dugh

Post by dugh »

I've got a Bb for sale that I just listed on this site. It's a very nice St. Pete. Contact me to discuss price before it sells.