What make and model of 6/4 CC tuba should my parents buy for me for college?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gocsick

Re: What make and model of 6/4 CC tuba should my parents buy for me for college?

Post by gocsick »

I posted @bloke's original question in Chat GPT and this is what it gave me back.....

Congratulations on your decision to pursue tuba in college! A 6/4 CC tuba is a great choice for an aspiring orchestral player. Selecting the right instrument can be a daunting task, but with careful consideration, you can find a tuba that will be a great partner for your musical journey.
Factors to Consider:

Budget: Determine how much you can realistically spend on a tuba. Prices for 6/4 CC tubas can vary significantly.
Sound Preference: Do you prefer a warm, dark sound or a brighter, more projecting sound?
Playability: Consider factors like intonation, response, and overall comfort.
Size and Weight: Ensure the tuba is manageable for you to transport and play.
Brand Reputation: Research different tuba brands and their reputations for quality and craftsmanship.

Recommended Tuba Brands:

While there are many excellent tuba brands, here are a few to consider:

Adams: Known for their high-quality craftsmanship and rich sound.
Miraphone: Offers a wide range of tubas with various sound characteristics.
Meinl Weston: Produces reliable and well-crafted instruments.
Eastman: Offers affordable options without sacrificing quality.
Melhart: Produces tubas with a reputation for excellent intonation and response.
York: Historically a top choice for orchestral players, though new York tubas are rare.

Trying Before Buying:

Rent or Borrow: If possible, rent or borrow different 6/4 CC tubas to try before buying. This will give you a better sense of which instrument suits your needs and preferences.
Consult with Your Teacher: Your tuba teacher can provide valuable guidance and recommendations based on your playing style and goals.
Visit Music Stores: Many music stores have a selection of tubas available for testing.

Additional Tips:

Consider Used Tubas: Buying a used tuba can be a cost-effective option, but be sure to have it inspected by a qualified technician before purchasing.
Invest in Accessories: Don't forget to budget for essential accessories like a mouthpiece, case, and maintenance supplies.

Remember, the best tuba for you is the one that you love to play. Take your time, try different instruments, and listen to your instincts.

Would you like to share more about your budget, musical goals, or any specific tuba models you've considered? This information can help me provide more tailored recommendations.

Would you like to know about some specific models within these brands?

As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: What make and model of 6/4 CC tuba should my parents buy for me for college?

Post by bloke »

That intelligence certainly is artificial.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
WC8KCY (Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:11 pm)
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

bloke wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:38 am That intelligence certainly is artificial.
Artificial intelligence, pfft. I'm still waiting for artificial cleverness.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

bloke wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:24 am I've heard a lot about Wessex and Eastman...(??)
Aren't Eastmans the best? I read that on the internet. I mean, why else would they be named after a prestigious music school? Besides, they seem to be worth more used than they cost new. I know this because I see lots of people selling them saying they are great horns. Dang, and I'm stuck with this old Lyon and Healy from about 120 years ago. What can I say?
:tuba:
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Stryk wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:24 pm
bloke wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:24 am I've heard a lot about Wessex and Eastman...(??)
Aren't Eastmans the best? I read that on the internet. I mean, why else would they be named after a prestigious music school? Besides, they seem to be worth more used than they cost new. I know this because I see lots of people selling them saying they are great horns. Dang, and I'm stuck with this old Lyon and Healy from about 120 years ago. What can I say?
:tuba:
I've already suggested to JP that they change their name to Julie Pard.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 3):
gocsick (Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:27 pm) • Stryk (Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:52 pm) • Jperry1466 (Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:18 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Well I think I have to go out and by a 6/4 CC Melhart.
https://reverb.com/item/37450791-melhar ... -4-cc-tuba
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:09 pm Well I think I have to go out and by a 6/4 CC Melhart.
Is that the jazzed-up and double-priced Big Mouth that some peeps have mentioned?
GC

Post by GC »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:51 am After this weekend there will be a number of people with fewer fingers on one hand or the other.
Pessimism is Mary Ann's quote above. Optimism is thinking, "Maybe I can even these up . . . "
These users thanked the author GC for the post (total 4):
arpthark (Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:03 pm) • bloke (Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:07 pm) • windshieldbug (Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:32 am) • Mary Ann (Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:42 am)
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

There's a little neighborhood of modest houses with carports across the highway from my property, and every 4th of July and New Years they put on quite a show. I don't have to go into the disgusting town in my county (which tries to behave as if it's an uppity suburb of Memphis, even though Memphis starts about 7 to 10 miles back to the county line from the edge of that town). Those people in that uppity town ooze/excrete a suburban Memphis mentality, I just don't want to hang around them simply to watch fireworks. I like the people across the highway who buy their own stuff.
I've walked over there across the highway before.. a couple thousand feet from the corner of my property, and there's so much smoke in the street between the rows of houses that you really can't see anything. It's hilarious.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Speaking of missing fingers…

Near the “big city” here, a few days ago a 7 yo girl blew her hand and part of her arm off (as in it’s “gone”) and blew out one ear drum setting off a “possibly illegal” explosive that her grandfather had bought in preparation for the 4th. The explosion stripped the drywall off the walls in the room in her house where she set it off. They’re apparently unsure if he’ll be charged with anything.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Grandpa has learned a very, very hard lesson quite a bit too late. And both of their lives are forever different. If grandpa is human and has human emotions, charging him with anything is moot.
Mark

Post by Mark »

gocsick wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:23 am York: Historically a top choice for orchestral players, though new York tubas are rare.
New York tubas are rare?
Mark

Post by Mark »

teenager wrote:The big symphony tubist told me I really didn't need a 6/4 tuba. He is just afraid that If I get one I will play as good as he does.
Yeah, that's it!
These users thanked the author Mark for the post:
bloke (Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:46 pm)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:09 pm Well I think I have to go out and by a 6/4 CC Melhart.
So, this is actually a brand. Wow!
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Mark wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:01 pm
So, this is actually a brand. Wow!
Looks to be a stencil for a music store in south Texas.

https://melhart.com/
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

bloke wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:38 pm
Is that the jazzed-up and double-priced Big Mouth that some peeps have mentioned?
Looks like it to me too.

I especially like how the title description is CC, but the verbage all says BBb.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

gocsick wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:23 am I posted @bloke's original question in Chat GPT and this is what it gave me back.....

Congratulations on your decision to pursue tuba in college! A 6/4 CC tuba is a great choice for an aspiring orchestral player. Selecting the right instrument can be a daunting task, but with careful consideration, you can find a tuba that will be a great partner for your musical journey.
Factors to Consider:

Budget: Determine how much you can realistically spend on a tuba. Prices for 6/4 CC tubas can vary significantly.
Sound Preference: Do you prefer a warm, dark sound or a brighter, more projecting sound?
Playability: Consider factors like intonation, response, and overall comfort.
Size and Weight: Ensure the tuba is manageable for you to transport and play.
Brand Reputation: Research different tuba brands and their reputations for quality and craftsmanship.

Recommended Tuba Brands:

While there are many excellent tuba brands, here are a few to consider:

Adams: Known for their high-quality craftsmanship and rich sound.
Miraphone: Offers a wide range of tubas with various sound characteristics.
Meinl Weston: Produces reliable and well-crafted instruments.
Eastman: Offers affordable options without sacrificing quality.
Melhart: Produces tubas with a reputation for excellent intonation and response.
York: Historically a top choice for orchestral players, though new York tubas are rare.

Trying Before Buying:

Rent or Borrow: If possible, rent or borrow different 6/4 CC tubas to try before buying. This will give you a better sense of which instrument suits your needs and preferences.
Consult with Your Teacher: Your tuba teacher can provide valuable guidance and recommendations based on your playing style and goals.
Visit Music Stores: Many music stores have a selection of tubas available for testing.

Additional Tips:

Consider Used Tubas: Buying a used tuba can be a cost-effective option, but be sure to have it inspected by a qualified technician before purchasing.
Invest in Accessories: Don't forget to budget for essential accessories like a mouthpiece, case, and maintenance supplies.

Remember, the best tuba for you is the one that you love to play. Take your time, try different instruments, and listen to your instincts.

Would you like to share more about your budget, musical goals, or any specific tuba models you've considered? This information can help me provide more tailored recommendations.

Would you like to know about some specific models within these brands?
Needs more programming work, they didn't mention Alexander :tuba:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'll just get some of each of those, pick out the ones that are best for me, and sell the rest for more than I paid for them on Facebook Marketplace.