In need of Tuba practice

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Cornhusker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

In need of Tuba practice

Post by Cornhusker »

Hello, my son is currently in LV working for the summer to save for college but home is Illinois. He is attending University of Nebraska in the fall and recently found out he made the first audition to the marching band. The second audition is in person in the middle of August however he has two new songs to learn. I've called everywhere in Las Vegas and there are no Tubas to rent or use. I'm fearful to ship or fly his tuba to LV as last time TSA damaged it requiring a lot of repair. It is also a 24+ hour car ride to LV. Any help or direction for him to practice while in LV to prepare for his upcoming audition is much appreciated.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: In need of Tuba practice

Post by bloke »

I think he needs to do some networking and find the local band directors.
Across the entire nation, marching band camps for high schools start in about a week and if Nebraska is like other universities, they start in about a month or maybe a month and a half. The high schools probably aren't going to be needing their so-called concert tubas during marching band camp. I don't know - were I a band director - if I would loan a stranger an expensive tuba, but if your son can come up with some references or people who would speak up for him, maybe they would loan him something like a old Conn or an old 3/4 Jupiter or something like that. He might get lucky and get something nicer. He also might offer to do a little bit of stuff for the marching band in exchange for borrowing an instrument. I understand that he's working, but he might have some hours where he could show up and do just a little bit for them.
kingrob76

Re: In need of Tuba practice

Post by kingrob76 »

@Cameron Gates might have some ideas here...
Rob. Just Rob.