Bell replacement for Olds o99 tuba

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
jose the tuba player
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bell replacement for Olds o99 tuba

Post by jose the tuba player »

I have an Olds 3 valve tuba where the bell flare has vertical tears. Is there any replacement bell available? I have a Yamaha 105 parts horn with a bell in good condition, however when I last measured the Yamaha has a smaller diameter at the ferrule. Will update with photos later this week.

York-aholic

Re: Bell replacement for Olds o99 tuba

Post by York-aholic »

Where are you located? I have one in reasonably decent shape.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Duh, just saw your location in the other section of the forum. PM me and we’ll set up a time for you to come get it. I’m near Big Bear.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
jose the tuba player
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jose the tuba player »

Pm sent
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

To Jose (and for future reference for anyone reading this in the future, seeking the same information…)

The Olds BU-20 piston/rotor contrabass bugle uses the same bell. The bugle has hardware to make the bell fully removable, which is nice if you want that, but it will fit into the O-99 bell ferrule, too.

Caveat: these are chrome plated over nickel, over copper, over a brass base. You cannot solder onto chrome. Also, if you locate one of these instruments for a low price and want to try this, if the bell needs dent work, the chrome may crack, and if it starts to peel it is RAZOR SHARP and *will* eventually slash your hand. Chrome, with a LOT of work, can be sanded off. I have done this to several BU-20 bells to sell them to O-99 owners.

I usually only recommend doing this if you have the much nicer (and more valuable) O-99/4 as it is silly to drop a lot of money into a three-valved tuba, IMHO.

Here is a link to one that sold on eBay for only $450, allowing someone in your situation to sell the parts to get a little of that back. (Not much, though.)

This does not help you, as there are not many of these floating around, but they usually are very inexpensive. The O-99 tubas are also becoming hard to find, but they sell for a lot more.

It is always good to know your options. This may be something you want to try at some point.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

tangential topic, in other words, off topic:

Because those came out of California and Miraphone tubas were distributed out of California back in the 1970s, prominent players over on the west coast messed around with sticking those bells on model 184 tubas. When restoring a 184 in the distant past, I stuck one of those bells on it for a few minutes with some tape - and it did play fine, but lost that 184 snarl. I guess these days - where snarly tubas are out of vogue - it would be a really successful model...

...whoops... except for those scourges of the past: rotary valves.