TOPIC: Jakob Winter tuba cases - replacing sheet metal hinges with a piano hinge

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

TOPIC: Jakob Winter tuba cases - replacing sheet metal hinges with a piano hinge

Post by bloke »

piano hinge installation on a Winter tuba case.png
piano hinge installation on a Winter tuba case.png (55.11 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: TOPIC: Jakob Winter tuba cases - replacing sheet metal hinges with a piano hinge

Post by bloke »

I got the ideal strip of aluminum from the hardware store. It's 4 ft long and I will be cutting it down to 34 in. Hyperinflation has kicked in so hard that they don't have time to change the price labels in the stores as the prices rise so quickly. I've learned - when something is marked $8, and I take it up to the register and it comes up $10 - to just either pay it or decline to buy it, and not argue with them.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: TOPIC: Jakob Winter tuba cases - replacing sheet metal hinges with a piano hinge

Post by bloke »

I'm going to get some blind pop rivets called peel rivets that are > the specific length < that I would like to use on this project. That will keep the interior "X" tabs from being longer than they need to be. I understand that this is sort of boring, but I'll post the little project when those come in. I completely understand that most people carry their tubas around in sacks, and the majority of the minority who use cases probably use MTS American-made cases that already have piano hinges.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I wanted a specific diameter and length of sheer rivets (slightly different from pop rivets, as no backup washer is required), which I ordered from McMaster/Carr and arrived lightning fast (one day) only an hour ago. (I wanted the four "blind" sheer tabs to be long ENOUGH to hold, but short ENOUGH to NOT find their way into the valance closure...I even installed each rivet in "diamond" orientation - to send the tabs of each one out at 45 degree angles.

I stopped what I was doing (Mrs. bloke handed me stuff and squeezed the case together) and did this chore, because I was tired of the supplies laying around (as well as tired of having to wibble-wobble a $1200 case, in order to get the halves of it to meet up properly)...

...so it's done, and the outcome is as good as I had hoped.

Off to the left, you will see the extracted sheet metal hinges.

reminder: The hinge is distressed as it was scrounged/recycled from a trashed MTS sousaphone case.
The oem hinge length (serendipitously) was the correct length for this project.

PIC #2: Yes, this small area of the closure was previously bent, due to the original sheet metal hinges not keeping everything properly aligned.
It's repaired, but - yup - somewhat marked up.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
pompatus (Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:32 pm)
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

That looks great! Someday I might try something similar.
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post:
bloke (Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:35 pm)
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It's just encouraging enough when - every once in awhile - something works out just as you imagined it would.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

They are great cases and well worth a little refurb!
These users thanked the author Stryk for the post:
bloke (Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:03 pm)
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

That looks much more stout than the original hinges. Nice idea and nice job.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

None of the three makers of molded tuba cases that we commonly see in the United States, MTS, SKB, and Winter, do everything that is to my liking. The one thing that I really like about MTS is their piano hinges.

(Is SKB still in business, and are they still making tuba cases? I'm not trying to start a rumor, but only trying to get information in the asking of this question.)
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Nicely done. J. Winter should consider this upgrade.

I think SKB dropped tuba cases…

https://www.skbcases.com/collections/mu ... ases/brass
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
bloke (Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:43 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MiBrassFS wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:49 am Nicely done. J. Winter should consider this upgrade.

I think SKB dropped tuba cases…

https://www.skbcases.com/collections/mu ... ases/brass
I wouldn't be surprised if they were frustrated by production expense, shipping expense, storage expense, retailer reluctance to purchase (unless product is pre-sold), lack of market predictability, and the vast number of lengths/widths/configurations.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I had an SKB for my PT-6. Plastic latches, poor fit, the lining smelled strongly of volatile chemicals. Seriously, the smell was horrible. Cost like $600 back in 2011 or whenever it was. I've since owned quite a few MTS cases and I've always thought MTS were way better. IMO.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

The one SKB case I owned smelled pretty skunky.
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
bloke (Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:41 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MiBrassFS wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:22 pm The one SKB case I owned smelled pretty skunky.
If not mold/mildew, I'm thinking that some of the better glues (used decades ago) were EPA-ed away, and some case makers moved to glues which (if not completely responsible) contributed to unpleasant odors.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Stunk out of the box. I’m thinking glue. Never went away… until I sold it!
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post (total 2):
bloke (Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:46 pm) • arpthark (Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:47 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MiBrassFS wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:45 pm Stunk out of the box. I’m thinking glue. Never went away… until I sold it!
I can smell the odor simply by you reminding me of it, but I've smelled it with many makes.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I was told about 8 months ago by a knowledgeable person that SKB was getting out of the tuba case business and someone (Tuba Exchange?) bought their entire inventory.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
bloke (Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:01 pm)
Rob. Just Rob.