multiple observations regarding something that's slightly unusual

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

multiple observations regarding something that's slightly unusual

Post by bloke »

Baritone horn solos are fairly rare, compared to euphonium solos. This person plays like an angel. My ears are telling me that this English baritone resonance - even though the bell overall is noticeably smaller - isn't much different from virtuoso American baritone horn players' sound production when they played solos back when I was a boy, and I was able to hear a couple of those players.
I'm also reminded of the challenges of having a wind band or brass band (which - duh - is also a wind band) accompany soloists, and it's just that the trumpets have trouble getting out of the way enough. I've experienced this when I've played various novelty and multi-movement solo works in front of wind bands, and - more recently - when I played a movement (similar to the one this person is playing on her baritone - a legato movement) with a brass ensemble ( a considerably smaller group than a full British brass band). Again, the trumpets and even a piccolo trumpet were covering violin parts, and there's no other phrase to describe what was going on other than "louder than it should have been".

Enjoy her playing:

Mary Ann

Re: multiple observations regarding something that's slightly unusual

Post by Mary Ann »

it's really nice. Having played many times in a concert band that was accompanying a soloist, I never understood why the sections weren't simply reduced to one player during the solo parts. Instead everybody got the hand 100% of the time, which was silly.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:46 am)
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I am lucky enough that there are two great British style bands local to me. I get to hear really talented soloists on euphonium, baritone, and cornet regularly. It helps keeps me motivation on Euphonium, when I am really struggling.. Aiming for that sweet sound.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Does anyone know of a standard concert band arrangement of this tune and where to get it?