Jay Friedman retiring from CSO

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gocsick

Jay Friedman retiring from CSO

Post by gocsick »

Not directly tuba related.... but Chicago Symphony has an open search for Principal Trombone... Jay Friedman is retiring and the last of the original power CSO brass section formed, molded, and anchored by Jacobs is leaving. The tail end of an era....

A great article from the CSO on the quintessential brass sound. .
https://cso.org/experience/article/3477 ... teamwork-a

One if my first classical records was this selection of excepts.
Originally recorded in 1971 by the legendary CSO Low Brass section: Jay Friedman, James Gilbertson, Frank Crisafulli, Ed Kleinhammer and Arnold Jacobs.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
Mary Ann (Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:56 am)

As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
matt g

Re: Jay Friedman retiring from CSO

Post by matt g »

Was he playing most of the subscription season these last few years?

He’s been with the CS0 since 1962. 62 years with the group and 59 years as principal. That’s a long time for any job.

Hopefully he’s got several years left in him to enjoy not having to work the regular schedule and be completely independent.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just guessing, but aren't all the CSO low brass in their seventies now?
Last edited by Mark on Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

matt g wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:01 pm Was he playing most of the subscription season these last few years?

He’s been with the CS0 since 1962. 62 years with the group and 59 years as principal. That’s a long time for any job.
He really should have retired several years ago. My understanding was he had an assistant playing with him lately.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

And another principal brass opening....

Following an extensive international audition process, we are pleased to announce the appointment of Esteban Batallán as principal trumpet (Marguerite and Gerry Lenfest Chair) beginning September 18, 2024. Esteban most recently served as principal trumpet of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, having been appointed by Riccardo Muti in 2019. Music and Artistic Director Yannick Nézet-Séguin said it best: “From the first moment I heard Esteban play, I knew he was the perfect match for The Philadelphia Orchestra. This is a historic appointment that will have a generational impact on the sound of the Orchestra. We look forward to welcoming Esteban to our Orchestra family and to experiencing his contributions to our work.” To learn more, visit https://www.philorch.org/about-us/conta ... l-trumpet/

Photo Credit: Todd Rosenberg
cjk

Post by cjk »

As an amateur sometimes tuba player, I would have thought the Chicago Symphony to be one of those gigs that's the pinnacle of success, yet the last two principal trumpet players have left. What's up with that?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

cjk wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:25 am As an amateur sometimes tuba player, I would have thought the Chicago Symphony to be one of those gigs that's the pinnacle of success, yet the last two principal trumpet players have left. What's up with that?
All of the top-several American orchestras (seriously) are about equally good, with (yes? no?) some possibly being underrated.
I'm just as pleased to have a San Francisco Symphony recording (as a "reference recording") as anything...but how often is that orchestra mentioned here (or by most brass players)?

We don't know these people personally, and (for all we know) there might be teaching at the fill-in-the-blank school, being near aging parents, moving back to one's old stomping grounds, "My spouse could get a job there at blah-blah", even "I've always wanted to play in that magnificent hall", "I'm sick and tired of working with that (_!_)", or all sort of other unknown-to-us factors involved.

My son-in-law plays in Pittsburgh, where people (certainly compared to where I live) get their butts taxed off, but - compared to some other cities - is viewed by people in those other cities (where BOTH butts AND other appendages are taxed off) as somewhat of a tax haven...so (though far less likely, as musicians usually don't think in those terms) that could possibly be yet another factor (though I seriously doubt in the case of Chicago-to-Philly).