NEW thread - OLD topic: Sellmansberg II mouthpiece (final revision)

For Tuba/Euphonium retail products and services.

Moderator: Retail Partner

bloke
Mid South Music

NEW thread - OLD topic: Sellmansberg II mouthpiece (final revision)

Post by bloke »

Admittedly, I let this go for a long time, but I've got the chaos around here down to a roar around here, and I'm able to (finally) revisit this.

This is going to be my last revision on this mouthpiece, which is an attempt to make the typical Helleberg II / 30H style mouthpiece something which appeals to me personally, and perhaps to others who've also viewed this cup shape as potentially a good mouthpiece, but just didn't like a lot of other things about the mouthpieces with this cup shape.

My very last revision is going to be to drop the throat size down to a typical/average/conservative throat size from a larger size.

I'm confident that I'm going to like it better, and I'm not 100% confident that I'm going to like it enough to use it on one of my instruments.

If I'm really impressed with it, I may have some more made an offer them for a couple hundred bucks each, but - just as with the previous - I'm going to offer these at (again: just as before) an introductory price of $150 with (please) no refunds offered... unless there's mailing damage or something.

I'm only doing a handful of them this time, so I guess a handful literally the means one for me and four more. If there are more than four people who want them, I would encourage people to reach out to me so I can have more than four made available.

I am actually quite hopeful and optimistic that this one last alteration will do the trick.

To be clear, these are one-piece silver plated brass mouthpieces, and NOT my typical three-piece stainless steel.

Heavy_Metal

Re: NEW thread - OLD topic: Sellmansberg II mouthpiece (final revision)

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I'm in for at least one.
These users thanked the author Heavy_Metal for the post:
bloke (Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:10 pm)
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...

This has been an interesting pursuit (working towards making a mouthpiece that I've NEVER liked into something that I can POSSIBLY like - via changing most everything OTHER THAN the cup profile).

I haven't really made any dough off of these experiments, but I DO SINCERELY APPRECIATE those who've helped cover the costs of this "research".

I'm hoping that this last change is (for me...and perhaps for a handful of others) the last little thing that really "does it".

I ALSO hope that those who purchased the PREVIOUS version (as that throat size is a VERY COMMON, albeit larger throat size) are ALREADY happy with theirs.

I'm probably only going to run these "final versions" in "standard" shank...
sugawi

Post by sugawi »

So what’s the specs on this one will be? Rim, throat size, backbore?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you think about a run'of-the-mill Helleberg II style mouthpiece - whether Schilke or whatever... or even one of those all chewed up ancient/prehistoric ones made by Conn that sell for ridiculous money on eBay...

... I'm trying to leave that cup shape unaltered, but putting my most popular rim contour on it - which is my #2 profile (thin, and not particularly flat), making sure that the throat size stays conservative (as some of these have those great big throats that seem to be so popular), and opening up the exit bore part of the back bore larger.

The last thing that I'm doing is something I probably should have done with the previous run, which is to drop down the throat size. I'm really hoping I end up with something that makes me smile. It seems like when something makes me smile it makes a reasonable percentage - though (I'm sure) probably not even a plurality - of other players smile as well.

(I really like easy, efficient, and nice-sounding - even if I'm sort of sucking myself.)

I always thought that this cup shape offers a good marketable type of sound on several types of tubas, but I never liked the way they felt to my face nor how they felt to blow through them.

@sugawi I'm aware that you asked for "specs", but (to me) they never really mean much (certainly not with tubas).
I hope this rhetoric was ok.