Storing bell-front tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Sousaswag

Storing bell-front tubas

Post by Sousaswag »

With my impending Holton 350 coming together in the next couple months, it occurred to me that I’ll have a little bit of a storage problem.

I’ve never owned a bell front tuba before, and they can’t stand on the bell. I figure I have a few options:

1) One of those “display” stands from K&M or Hercules. Ever used one? Give me your thoughts. Particularly for big tubas like the Holtons, Conns, Matins, etc.

2) Build something. Definitely not out of the question, and I have a few ideas. Maybe this is the way to go?

3) Anything you recommend? What do you do?

I don’t want to just lay it on the floor. Even though I practice in my basement, there’s enough foot traffic and stuff down there that I don’t like that option.

I also don’t want to lean it up in a corner, against the wall. It could fall. Nah, not interested.

This tuba will likely never have a case, either. It’s not really necessary for something like this, imo. Also not worth the expense to me. I’ll just carry it somewhere and lay it in my back seat when it leaves the house.

Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
gocsick

Re: Storing bell-front tubas

Post by gocsick »

I hang the 20J on the wall. One of these cheap harbor freight hooks is about 8” wide (https://www.harborfreight.com/hardware/ ... 68995.html). Just fits inside top bow. A few tapcons into the cinder block basement wall, some pipe insulation for padding, and you have the world’s cheapest tuba hanger. Works well for a Sousa too.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
TxTx

Post by TxTx »

My “good” horn (until the next one shows up this Tuesday) is a 1928 Martin Intermediate Eb with a recording bell. It lives in one of the K&M tuba stands whether I am not playing it at homes or shows. There’s a rubber thing on the bottom part of the stand that provides the only front-to-back restraint tho, so I had to make an additional U-shaped member, padded with self-adhesive felt, to keep the instrument from creeping out of the stand due to the weight of the recording bell and falling over, maybe crushing one of our cats. With that addition it works well.

The stand folds up pretty small and is pretty adjustable, all with thumb screws. I did replace the adjustment screws that don’t need to be monkeyed with to knock the stand down with nylon insert lock nuts to keep well intentioned band mates from monkeying with them.

I am out of town at the moment but can grab a pic imor three of the modified stand next week. Here is a pic from their catalog:

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/stands-a ... tand-black

Eric
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Right now, I only have one bell front tuba, a 4/4 fiberglass Martin/Reynolds/Richards. It lives in a K&M floor stand with a Velcro strap around the middle of the bottom bow and the stand making more difficult for it to tip forward.

I actually had a hard case for this exact model, but I sold the first one I owned and the buyer didn’t want the case. I thought I’d never own another because they’re pretty rare, so I got rid of the case. Dumb. Lo and behold, an even better example of this rare tuba became available and I bought it. I kick myself every time I think about that case!

Here in “the archives” I have two bell front bags. They’re essentially heavy, quilted, zippered bags shaped like 6/4 bell front tubas. No straps, no handles. Very old school tuba bags. Very weird. A very old school was cleaning things out and getting rid of them so I snagged them. I had seen some very beat up ones like these before in a music store attic, so some company had to have been making them, but they aren’t labeled. They’re out there. Keep your eyes open!
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

MiBrassFS wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:29 am Right now, I only have one bell front tuba, a 4/4 fiberglass Martin/Reynolds/Richards. It lives in a K&M floor stand with a Velcro strap around the middle of the bottom bow and the stand making more difficult for it to tip forward.

I actually had a hard case for this exact model, but I sold the first one I owned and the buyer didn’t want the case. I thought I’d never own another because they’re pretty rare, so I got rid of the case. Dumb. Lo and behold, an even better example of this rare tuba became available and I bought it. I kick myself every time I think about that case!

Here in “the archives” I have two bell front bags. They’re essentially heavy, quilted, zippered bags shaped like 6/4 bell front tubas. No straps, no handles. Very old school tuba bags. Very weird. A very old school was cleaning things out and getting rid of them so I snagged them. I had seen some very beat up ones like these before in a music store attic, so some company had to have been making them, but they aren’t labeled. They’re out there. Keep your eyes open!
Okay, those bags sound really cool. I’m sure we’d all love to see some pictures if they’re convenient for you!

@gocsick Thank you for the wall hanging suggestion. That seems like the way to go, and I hadn’t thought of that!
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Pick up a Wenger tuba tamer, remove all of the stuff having to do with it sitting on the floor, and mount it on the wall. You're going to have to use flathead screws for mounting (in the vertical part) for the sliders to still work.
dp

Post by dp »

Sousaswag wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:53 pm With my impending Holton 350 coming together in the next couple months, it occurred to me that I’ll have a little bit of a storage problem.
I’ve never owned a bell front tuba before, and they can’t stand on the bell. I figure I have a few options:
1) One of those “display” stands from K&M or Hercules. Ever used one? Give me your thoughts. Particularly for big tubas like the Holtons, Conns, Matins, etc.
2) Build something. Definitely not out of the question, and I have a few ideas. Maybe this is the way to go?
3) Anything you recommend? What do you do?
I don’t want to just lay it on the floor. Even though I practice in my basement, there’s enough foot traffic and stuff down there that I don’t like that option.
I also don’t want to lean it up in a corner, against the wall. It could fall. Nah, not interested.
This tuba will likely never have a case, either. It’s not really necessary for something like this, imo. Also not worth the expense to me. I’ll just carry it somewhere and lay it in my back seat when it leaves the house.
Get a sky hook, ask your teacher where you can find one
These users thanked the author dp for the post:
bloke (Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:08 pm)
pfft (yes, that's for you)
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Sousaswag wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:35 amOkay, those bags sound really cool. I’m sure we’d all love to see some pictures if they’re convenient for you!
I now know exactly where they are. Next time I’m near them, I will take some pictures.

Side note: I actually practiced some Arban’s on my 340 today. So. Much. Fun. So much resonance. Having only 3 valves is “freeing” in a strange sort of way. Maybe it removes the “paradox of choice.”
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

They are not cool as the ones described above, but King bell fronts will fit into those budget-grade large size Pro-Tec bags, and the bags zip.

Getting back to the wall mounted altered Wenger Tuba Tamer, on my wall I have several of those wall-mounted Wenger sousaphone things that a band director gave me, and they're pretty easy to adapt to tuba simply by adjusting them inward, but - to be more specific about mounting the tuba holding portion of a Tuba Tamer on the wall - once it's freed from its floor stand portion, probably just two or maybe three cone-shaped holes need to be drilled into the vertical back portion and lined up on a stud. It's really simple to drill like that simply by drilling a hole large enough for the screw and then putting a much larger bit in there for the cone shaped portion of the hole. Then you need a substantial flathead screw (times two or three) to go into those holes and into the studs. Perhaps 3 inch deck screws would suffice, but maybe something slightly larger, just to be really safe.
daktx2

Post by daktx2 »

I really like wall mounting tubas, keeps them accessible but not underfoot. In interior finished rooms, I like the look of the string swing tuba mount, though it's a bit pricey and doesn't fit every tuba. For a basement, I'd do the diy cheap hooks + pipe insulation approach suggested by @gocsick.

With any approach, make sure you're really careful .w/r/t getting the screw to hold really securely in the wall. If your basement is finished/drywall, make sure the screw hits the stud solidly, and make sure you use the right kind of anchor if it's concrete or other masonry.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Kalison DS C tuba
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't trust an anchor - even in concrete - for hanging up a tuba.

A school system employee hung some of those Wenger sousaphone things up in a concrete wall band room. I had to fix one of the sousaphones that fell after the anchors failed.
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I agree. I used Tapcon masonry screws directly into the block walls. You really need a hammer drill to install properly though.

https://www.concretefasteners.com/tapcon-blue/
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
bloke (Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:09 am)

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Maybe even some sort of epoxy, if there's a way to combine a fastener with some sort of industrial glue...??
aarongsmith

Post by aarongsmith »

bloke wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:10 am Maybe even some sort of epoxy, if there's a way to combine a fastener with some sort of industrial glue...??
If it's solid concrete, you could use one of those glass resin capsules that you put in before the fastener.
Rudolf Meinl 5/4CC
Willson 3400FA-5 Eb
Besson New Standard Euph
S.E. Shires Bass w/ Greenhoe Valves
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Yes, unfinished basement. I’d need to do some research on heavy duty concrete fasteners or something, especially considering how heavy the Holtons are.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Sousaswag wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:01 am Yes, unfinished basement. I’d need to do some research on heavy duty concrete fasteners or something, especially considering how heavy the Holtons are.
I'm wondering about screwing a couple of 2x4's to the (first story) floor joists, and then using concrete screws (or fasteners of your choosing) to fasten the 2x4's to the concrete wall...and THEN mount your tuba-holder to the 2x4's. With the top of the 2x4's fastened up to the floor joists, that nearly insures that the thing won't fall. (insert "this may-or-may-not-be-a-great-idea emoji" here)
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

Tapcon 1/4 screws have a minimum pull out rating of 750lbs in 2000PSI concrete and 250lbs in light masonry block. Shear loading strength is roughly a factor of 2. So IF INSTALLED PROPERLY into a structurally sound wall, the three screws going into the will support a minimum of 1500 LBS static load.
If you are at all worried about the wall, I like @bloke's idea of running supports down from the floor joists.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

I use the Hercules stand. I had a bell front Mirafone 186. I now use it for my Eastman. Very sturdy and off the ground.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner