Eastman buys Willson

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Billy M.

Re: Eastman buys Willson

Post by Billy M. »

bloke wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:02 pm have since owned a compensating E-flat for quite some time, and love it.
I decided to go to Eb to buck the F trend… I love playing Eb as well; it’s the best quintet and brass ensemble horn. I own an F and do more with it because of how some solos fall with fingerings but I am definitely holding on to the Eb I bought from you, Bloke.

Staying with topic, I’ve played a few Willson tubas but never understood the glamour. They played well and had a nice sound but rather generic and like everyone has said: HEAVY. I get the feeling that some of the horns were real winners and others were just ‘ok’. Perhaps the new ownership has ideas about what can make the line more appealing. I had heard some good things about the Merlin.

Romans 3:23, 24

B&S MRP-C
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 19" Eb
Besson New Standard 15" Eb
John Packer 379 FF