LOL...cd credit discovered

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

LOL...cd credit discovered

Post by bloke »

Someone told me that I am credited on this cd.
I had to think back really hard to remember (decades ago...)
They sent me the crediting link: "Joe Sallmanberger" :eyes:
I believe I was playing trombone (Olds, with a Reynolds slide), and it may have been in a recording studio which was former fancy downtown Memphis bank building.
(Since then, I've played in there "live", as - most recently - it was no longer a recording studio, but an "event center".

Thinking back, I believe I played on two cuts, including this one...
(I'm remembering that we were told to play "funky, but not too many notes" :laugh: )

(I'm also remembering that I had no idea who the "artist" was.)

Wiki tells me that I was in that place recording this in 2005:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hiatt

The link claims another studio (a much more famous one, and - sure - I've recorded at Ardent many times). They're probably right...and the other players are the same ones that I remember (likely, another artist) at that DOWNTOWN former bank building, as Ardent is in MIDTOWN.

https://www.johnhiatt.com/master-of-disaster
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Stryk (Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:45 pm)

MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Re: LOL...cd credit discovered

Post by MiBrassFS »

Clipboard Sep 4, 2024 at 5.32 PM.jpeg
Clipboard Sep 4, 2024 at 5.32 PM.jpeg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 556 times
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
bloke (Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:20 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

One of the other guys playing trombone on that session is someone that I thought I'd only recently met. He brought his King 2B trombone and his Conn 79H (F-attachment) trombone to me recently (both in bad shape). He needed an F-attachment trombone for a show, the Conn had never been put in playing condition since back when someone had given it to him, so he brought his main instrument (the King) and the Conn (what he needed for the show), and I repaired them. (He was very happy afterwards, and I thought - ?? - I'd made a NEW acquaintance.) After seeing the CD credits, I sent him a Facebook message asking him if he knew that we had both played on that session, and he told me that he brought it up to me when I was working on his trombones, and that I didn't say anything. Well, yeah... I didn't remember it, so I didn't know what he was talking about. :smilie6:

At least - on wiki - I was able to edit the article and repair the spelling of my own name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Disaster

again: only a vague memory, at that time: had no idea whose song/cd this was, and didn't know who John Hiatt was/is.

I don't even remember John (Hampton) being behind the glass...even though I'd worked with him (tuba, bass, or both) on multiple projects.
He (Hampton) was a great talent...died young...cancer... :smilie4:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hamp ... _producer)
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

John Hiatt is, at least in my opinion, a really fine songwriter. His song “Icy Blue Heart” has one of my all-time favorite opening lines,

“She came on to him like a slow moving cold front,
His beer was warmer than the look in her eye.”

These users thanked the author MikeS for the post:
bloke (Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:01 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...
This (small/meaningless) connection of mine got me curious, so I clicked around at little bit on his stuff...
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

I don’t know about the other stuff, but I think those masked wrestlers are fairly hilarious!
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

MiBrassFS wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:57 pm Clipboard Sep 4, 2024 at 5.32 PM.jpeg

release the Gimp....
Rob. Just Rob.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

IMG_1213.jpeg
IMG_1213.jpeg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 378 times
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MiBrassFS wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:08 am I don’t know about the other stuff, but I think those masked wrestlers are fairly hilarious!
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

My brother-in-law was an extremely large man, played football in college, and was even recruited into a major league training camp for a few weeks before he was let go. He got a job as a football coach in a high school after that, and - on weekends (Saturdays) - he did that masked anonymous evil guy $h!t on local TV wrestling. Later, he figured out that repairing and repainting cement inground pools paid better as a side job.

the tuba stuff I did on those two cuts on that album:
I don't hear that they added positive to those two songs, to tell you the honest truth. That's probably the most plausible explanation of me having not much memory at all of that recording session.