Meinl-Weston model 11 (four top-action pistons) BB-flat

For Tuba/Euphonium retail products and services.

Moderator: Retail Partner

bloke
Mid South Music

Meinl-Weston model 11 (four top-action pistons) BB-flat

Post by bloke »

- very dark worn original lacquer
- any dents nicely removed - no cracks nor patches
- four stainless steel pistons in very good condition
- .625" bore
- similar in size to King model 1140, except with a fourth valve (large 3/4 size)
- good intonation
- nickel bow cap
- currently being readied for sale, will be sold in completely ready for rehearsal/performance condition
- excellent brass quintet instrument and/or trombone doubler's instrument
- fabricated in Geretsried, Germany
- $1500
- willing to ship in the continental USA via FedExGround
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
arpthark (Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:10 pm)

DonO.

Re: Meinl-Weston model 11 (four top-action pistons) BB-flat

Post by DonO. »

This is really tempting! It’s very similar to what I played in high school- model 10 with only 3 valves and the “convertible” marching contra option. I don’t know where I would put another tuba in our little space though. Maybe if I sold the Kanstul…

Does it come with a case? If not, would you be able to speculate on what off the shelf hard case might fit it?
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

DonO. wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:59 am This is really tempting! It’s very similar to what I played in high school- model 10 with only 3 valves and the “convertible” marching contra option. I don’t know where I would put another tuba in our little space though. Maybe if I sold the Kanstul…

Does it come with a case? If not, would you be able to speculate on what off the shelf hard case might fit it?
Case possibilities would be a case that fits a King model 1140 with a little bit of reblocking on the inside, because I've done that before (for a M-W Model 10) and also there's a molded plastic Chinese case that fits a Chinese copy of an 1140. I used to buy those specific cases from Hunter Music up in New York City (maybe Long Island...??). They became annoyed with me, because I would never buy their instruments. LOL. They are Chinese people selling Chinese imported products. Lately I haven't seen the tuba case listed on their website but maybe they still sell it and just got sick of people ordering those cases so they have them perhaps but not listed. If you call them and ask, don't admit to knowing me. :laugh:
Another case that would fit would be a case in which those Shafer Taiwanese tubas originally were sold. That was also a King 1140 copy.
Again, any 1140 fitting case would need to be re-blocked a little bit.
I promise you that anything that's small enough to fit a Yamaha 104/105 or clone is too small for this instrument. M-W 10/11 is just enough bigger and taller. Slightly taller than Yamaha and 15-in Bell rather than 14, I'm thinking.
Look... whether or not you're really interested, I have an idea of someone who might have one of those cases and I'm going to send him an email. He's in the middle of nowhere so it would have to be shipped, but who knows...(??)

How about if YOU look up the Hunter Music website, find the King 1140 Chinese copy (so you'll have a model # to discuss with them), and then call them and ASK them if they have CASES for sale to fit that model "because you bought one from them a long time ago, and the case cracked" (big lie :red: ).

In the meantime, I'll call my friend that has all sorts of things, who I referred to above.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

That and the Yamaha 103 are really good small horns
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:13 pm That and the Yamaha 103 are really good small horns
This one is more the size of a King 1140 or Taiwan Shafer Knockoff (bigger than Yamaha and a little more sound), except with four top action valves.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Oh I'm very familiar with them.

Not only was it the very first tuba I was handed as a beginner over 40 years ago, do you remember I hand delivered a couple of them to your house several years ago?
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
bloke (Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:58 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I can't honestly remember where those were 10s or 11s.

Those had been refinished - I observed, and I had to do a good bit of stuff to them to get them in good shape for someone else to use. This one has ruddy looking original lacquer, but is in much better shape.

That was really nice of you to do that for me. :smilie8: :thumbsup:

I traded one of them to a middle school in exchange for a fiberglass King sousaphone, because a private school wanted three King fiberglass sousaphones and I only had two. I should have just sold the two and kept that third one, but at the time I had that four valve hybrid Conn fiberglass, and hadn't yet been King enlightened. :tuba:
Last edited by bloke on Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah they were 11's, I remember thinking of the nostalgia of playing ones like my 1st tuba. They were bought in a lot from the city that I grew up in (Arlington) so one of them literally could have been the same horn
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
bloke (Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:04 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It's really hard on tubas and euphoniums and any brass to be run through "overhaul shops". I'm glad that fewer of those type places exist today (probably due to the low cost of new Chinese instruments).

I'd much rather buy ugly original finish instruments with all the metal in them, and either do a partial exterior refinish (without buffing the crap out of them), or - if necessary - refinish the entire instrument ...gently... and I know I'm wandering off topic. A couple of days ago I picked up one of those $3,000 King marching baritones for about $45 with a horrible finish and probably a C-condition original case, but it had never been refinished, and neither was it beat up. :thumbsup: It was in the city where my grandchildren live, and it's birthday season there for the three of them (one after the other). My daughter picked it up and gave it to the one who would appreciate having it as a new toy... the one who is a horn player, like her dad.