I'VE HAD IT!!!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tclements
Has thanked: 0

I'VE HAD IT!!!

Post by tclements »

I've frickin' HAD it with piston valves. Doesn't ANYBODY make a tuba that has that large York sound, with rotary valves?
These users thanked the author tclements for the post:
tubatodd (Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:49 am)

arpthark

Re: I'VE HAD IT!!!

Post by arpthark »

MRP CC? Neptune?
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Yeah, the MRP may be as close as you get. It’s the largest readily-available rotor C, apart from maybe the Rudy?

“York-ish” sound? IDK. I sound like me. Maybe a Bb would be more like that type of sound?
These users thanked the author Sousaswag for the post:
Mary Ann (Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:39 am)
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
catgrowlB

Post by catgrowlB »

MRP, Neptune and similar tubas are hybrid/crossover tubas. They don't really sound like large York tubas....

Noone makes a large York tuba with rotors. You are gonna have to frankentuba one, or have one made.
donn

Post by donn »

Big bell, big bell flare, American vs. German, that's my guess. I haven't the faintest idea myself, but note that the ad copy for the MRP claims a German sound.
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

You have way more experience than me, but if the MRP/Neptune aren't it, maybe the new Lind tubas? I seem to remember something about a larger CC option (not sure if it is a viable option, I haven't played it yet, just a thought).
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Tony, if the pistons are hanging, go to an experienced tech and see what he has to say. In my experience, the causes are either filth in the horn (doesn't take much), or mechanical problems (torquing of the valveset somewhere, etc.). Worth checking out before you needlessly flee to rotors.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

OK!!!
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

Martin has made rotary tubas from the factory. Heck they even made a 6/4 top action rotary for someone back in the day too...

Baltimore Brass had a 6/4 rotary Conn BBb. The valves where worn though. If B.B. still has it then it definitely needs a valve job. I'm sure it would be a fine tuba once the valves have been addressed.

Marzan slant rotor would be close and easier to find than what I mentioned above.

Maybe a Hirsbrunner 192 (or it's Chinese copy), Miraphone 98 Siegfried (it's bell is identical to a Holton bell), a Rotary Wilson, or a King 1291 Rotary Monster BBb tuba. Outside of slapping a rotary valve section on a "York like" body and bell.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

He's a professional, so he'll be looking for a C instrument only.

Amateurs and Germans play B-flat tubas.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Not all piston valves are created equal.

Of course, neither are technicians. That broad, catch-all descriptor can mean so many things…
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Back when there were some California made tubas, a full-time player brought their instruments to me along with a friend's California instrument. One of the pistons was hanging up, and I really couldn't repair it because it was curved and the tapping trick didn't work. It didn't appear to be dropped, but actually manufactured slightly curved. Someone with the skills of Dave Secrist could have trued and plated it and all that stuff if the tuba was deemed to be worth it.

It would be really easy to label me as a based on the following, but the only piston valve section made in China that I would consider using on a personal instrument would be one from the factory that makes the JP instruments. I've looked at the Wiseman pistons lately, as I've seen some of the Chinese B&S instruments that are made there, and they're better than they used to be (compared to the model 900 - PT6P cooy era).

The best - as far as European made pistons - are probably Bauerfeind and Meinlschmidt.

If I found some tuba body that I really liked and wanted to put a 3/4 inch bore front action piston valve section on it with a slightly larger fourth and a slightly larger fifth rotor. I'd be perfectly happy with the JP valve section.
Even when Young Scholars tear the crap out of JP sousaphones, the never-or-rarely-oiled pistons continue to feel sublime, at least under my fingers. Visually, I'm consistently impressed with the porting on those pistons and the way that the brass articulates the stainless steel surfaces, as well as the stainless steel surfaces themselves which indicate by their wear marks that they articulate completely, as opposed to mostly.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Coming from my usual reasonably intelligent but non-pro and not-very-experienced viewpoint, what about MAW valves, and yup even I vote for the "just give a BBb a try and you may surprise not only yourself but those around you." But I play rotors for ergonomic reasons, and I wouldn't be able to pick a York sound out of a lineup.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MAW pistons are made by Meinlschmidt. They're a little bit on the delicate side (which I've learned from fitting them into casings), but they are delightfully lightweight - particularly when I stick some of my old wafer thin stainless steel buttons on them. The lightweight feature - to me - is their most salient one.

The crappiest Asian pistons - as well as the finest European pistons - are all going to stick, if they have hard lime deposits on them.

It seems as though rotors are less prone to sticking when they are horribly coated hard lime deposits.
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

bloke wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:26 pm He's a professional, so he'll be looking for a C instrument only.

Amateurs and Germans play B-flat tubas.
Well... Outside of a Wilson CC Rotary everyone else already mentioned the alternatives... He could always give a B&S 4097 (pt20) a whirl. Buffet-Crampon USA has a lacquered one that was made at the same time as my sliver was. Can probably find it at a conference near you etc.

I don't think they sound quite like the York/Kanstul or the modern King 2341/Eastman 534 but the bell profile and the short lead pipe (at least the CC version has a "short" lead pipe) is York like...

Once I get my King Pit Tuba back I'll share photos of the 4097 I have. The Pit tuba is definitely going to be used for scale :smilie2:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was sort of making a little joke...

... but if I just had some of that "York metal" that those Californians had, I could really make me some tubas
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
arpthark (Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:09 am)
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:49 pm I was sort of making a little joke...
:teeth:

I figured but then I was like "aw, snap! He's right though!!" so I had to come up with something quick!!
donn

Post by donn »

So the wrap up I'm getting here is, if you want a rotary valve tuba kind of along the lines of the York clones, let's think about grafting another piston valve set onto one? Whoopee! Rotary valves go home!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Why not just stick a set of those Jinbao 186 copy rotors onto a Yamayork?
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

This was found on Lee Stofer's website TubaMeister.com. Link is at the bottom. I'd suggest contacting Mr. Stofer or sending a PM through this forum too.

1910’s vintage Martin Mammoth CC tuba, pre-owned, 4 rotor, owned and played extensively by Jay McAllister. Will be a quite good player, with added provenance of a restored “McAllister” mouthpiece, call for price.

https://tubameister.com/instruments-in-process/

https://tubameister.com/contact/

Edit: unless MartinMan already owns this tuba... Then nevermind