eBay (TX): Miraphone 186

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
arpthark

eBay (TX): Miraphone 186

Post by arpthark »

humBell

Re: eBay (TX): Miraphone 186

Post by humBell »

Steam punk finish!

Begs the question how'd it start?
"All art is one." -Hal
Mark

Post by Mark »

The bell looks nasty.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

humBell wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:03 am Steam punk finish!

Begs the question how'd it start?
If it finished as steam (punk), it surely began as water (punk)?
hrender

Post by hrender »

Mark wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:56 pm The bell looks nasty.
THIS
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
arpthark (Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:28 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Yes, my reaction quickly turned from "oh, neat!" to "oh, yikes!" as I scrolled through the pics.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

Clipboard Sep 19, 2024 at 9.25 PM.jpeg
Clipboard Sep 19, 2024 at 9.25 PM.jpeg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 122 times
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MiBrassFS wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:31 pm Clipboard Sep 19, 2024 at 9.25 PM.jpeg
That's not a patch. The rim is warped, and the tuba kept tilting over that direction and falling on the floor, so that's sort of like when someone slips something underneath a table leg, so the table doesn't rock anymore. :coffee:

"steampunk": I actually used that word today when describing leaving the original worn and darkened lacquer on the S-arm linkage on that super-bling silver 186 that I sold to @Doc... One of my former employees (who was an excellent brass technician - trained up from nothing: an extremely smart person who went very far in their chosen full-time career - medicine/administration, and just recently retired - a fine tuba player, who is now circling back and recapturing their tuba technique) is in town helping his nieces to settle and clean up his recently-deceased older brother's estate, and has been out here a couple of times during this trip down here visiting with Mrs bloke and myself. Actually this is his second trip down here and his second visit out here. This time he brought his tuba, bought a mouthpiece, and is leaving the tuba for some repairs, which - fortunately for me - means that he's coming back again for yet another great visit. :teeth: :clap:

more:
He's actually brilliant regarding administration. I don't know how many of you have read the papers, but - since the privatization of housing in DC for military personnel, a scandal has come to a head regarding the condition of the rental properties and their slumlords. He's been put in charge of getting it all straightened out, getting the landlords to put the properties in appropriately good and safe condition, and getting all this done without landlords walking away from their properties and without the military tenants ending up with no place to live. He's he's had to speak to generals about how this has to be done in a certain way and over a certain period of time, unlike just attacking the problem all at once - which would cause obvious major negative consequences...even worse than the bad consequences due to the current conditions of the properties. Again, he's quite brilliant, this is a very large undertaking, and this has nothing to do with medicine, obviously. They pulled him back out of military retirement as - now - a civil servant, simply because they knew that he would be able to get it done.

more:
He's also really good at automobile body work (which makes sense, having worked in my shop for several years) as well as automobile mechanics. All of this stuff makes perfect sense in relation to his organizational skills. He has one thing that I don't have a whole lot of, which is patience (though I seem to be gaining a tiny bit more of that in my waning years, but - sadly - not enough to do much good).
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

bloke wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 pm That's not a patch. The rim is warped, and the tuba kept tilting over that direction and falling on the floor, so that's sort of like when someone slips something underneath a table leg, so the table doesn't rock anymore. :coffee:
See, that’s why you’re you. A different breed of cat. Thinking outside the box. It’s a litter box, but still…