Wanted: Besson tuning bit (small shank)

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
funkhoss
Has thanked: 0

Wanted: Besson tuning bit (small shank)

Post by funkhoss »

I'm looking for a tuning/receiver bit that came with Besson tubas in the 1950s/60s/70s. I just picked up a Besson compensating B-flat, and I'd like to try it with one since they came with it from the factory.

My horn has the original small shank receiver. So, I'd like to find one that's small shank to small shank, or American shank to small shank.

Please let me know if you've got one: funkhoss@gmail.com. Thanks!

arpthark

Re: Wanted: Besson tuning bit (small shank)

Post by arpthark »

I didn't know these came with a bit!
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

arpthark wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:40 pm I didn't know these came with a bit!
I was told by a resident of the UK, who is a well known repair person, that these were an American market thing and that they didn’t really see them in England. Could be.

I was also told by a young American repair person with lots of “swagger” that these don’t exist and are nothing more than sousaphone bits. Why a reducing sousaphone bit (American shank mouthpiece going into a small shank receiver for example) would exist doesn’t make any sense. So, that opinion seem dubious to me.

I have a few of these in various configurations in a box somewhere, all reducing in size.
funkhoss

Post by funkhoss »

I've seen vintage ads (including for the British market) that have these bits in the picture, on both E-flat and B-flat tubas. I bought a compensating E-flat model several years ago from a seller in England that came with the original bit. It was small shank to small shank, and matched visually the design of the bit in the advertisement photos.

Of course I sold that one...

However, I've gotten this one covered since I posted this ad yesterday. Thanks, everyone!
These users thanked the author funkhoss for the post:
arpthark (Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:34 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

re: goofball tuning bit:

I just about have what you are looking for:

- slightly curved...English/French style with two studs on receiver end 180 degrees apart
- basically new appearance (lacquer)
- receiver fits bass shank/small tuba shank
- insertion end is SLIGHTLY undersized...closer to "euphonium shank", but it would probably do ok, and I can conceive of a strategy whereby it would work nicely.

Otherwise, you could make one yourself out of a King euphonium receiver (cheapest one I know of) and cutting off the large shank from a junk large shank trombone mouthpiece.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

MiBrassFS wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:53 am
arpthark wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:40 pm I didn't know these came with a bit!
I was told by a resident of the UK, who is a well known repair person, that these were an American market thing and that they didn’t really see them in England. Could be.

I was also told by a young American repair person with lots of “swagger” that these don’t exist and are nothing more than sousaphone bits. Why a reducing sousaphone bit (American shank mouthpiece going into a small shank receiver for example) would exist doesn’t make any sense. So, that opinion seem dubious to me.

I have a few of these in various configurations in a box somewhere, all reducing in size.
I’d confirm that (here in the UK) they are a thing but they’re also infrequently seem. A few years back one of my section mates was using one on an Imperial Eb small shank tuba. The shop from which the shank was purchased has ceased trading (retired) an I’ve no idea where such an item would be bought.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

@2nd tenor Sounds similar. He said that he knew they existed and he had seen them in the UK, but very, very infrequently.
humBell

Post by humBell »

I would get in line for one (or more, though i try not to be greedy) of these. I always feel awkward playing with the mts almost all the way out.

But no hurry. Nothing wrong with me feeling awkward.
"All art is one." -Hal
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Looking for a receiver, I found some of these (I knew I had some somewhere…) in a bin with the regular sousa bits. All reducing, the first 3 are American Shank to small shank, the one on the right goes from large tuba shank to small tuba shank (skipping American all together…), weird.

They exist. NFS…. right now…
Clipboard Oct 1, 2024 at 8.17 AM.jpeg
Clipboard Oct 1, 2024 at 8.17 AM.jpeg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 29 times