Besson

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ronr

Besson

Post by ronr »

I’m on a tour to Scotland with a local (Mpls) group and asked to rent a horn instead of bringing my own. I get to the venue, and there’s the most unwieldy, largest horn I’ve ever seen! I have it sitting on a chair in front of me because I can’t reach the lead pipe otherwise, and I’m sitting on two stacked chairs, and…it’s got the most gorgeous sound I’ve ever heard.

I’d post a picture, but I don’t have one, and I can’t figure out how to,do,that.
These users thanked the author ronr for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:42 pm)

GC

Re: Besson

Post by GC »

Besson made superbly playing big BBb horns with a gorgeous sound, but their concepts of ergonomics were godawful for non-giants.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
humBell

Post by humBell »

Does it still have a knob on the bottom?

Recording or upright bell?

I think my favorite recording bell feature are the ones that block your line of sight to the conductor.

If you ever get the picture figured out, that'll answer all the various questions.

My solution to the ergonomics, as well as shoulder strapitude, is play (on your knee, sitting) like a guitar. It also gets that recording bell out of your way should you want to see the conductor. And of course knob points harmlessly elsewhere.

PS. If i'd have started this thread, as i've occasionally thought to, probably woulda been titled Besson me mucho...
Might not have been my cleverest witicism.
"All art is one." -Hal
ronr

Post by ronr »

humBell wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:58 am Does it still have a knob on the bottom?

Recording or upright bell?

I think my favorite recording bell feature are the ones that block your line of sight to the conductor.

If you ever get the picture figured out, that'll answer all the various questions.

My solution to the ergonomics, as well as shoulder strapitude, is play (on your knee, sitting) like a guitar. It also gets that recording bell out of your way should you want to see the conductor. And of course knob points harmlessly elsewhere.

PS. If i'd have started this thread, as i've occasionally thought to, probably woulda been titled Besson me mucho...
Might not have been my cleverest witicism.
No knob on the bottom; upright bell. I’m used to a horn that I read off the right side instead of the left, and it’s amazing how much that is messing up my sightline. I do peer through the tubing to look at the conductor between selections.
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

ronr wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:25 amNo knob on the bottom; upright bell. I’m used to a horn that I read off the right side instead of the left, and it’s amazing how much that is messing up my sightline. I do peer through the tubing to look at the conductor between selections.
When I had my New Standard 3-valve Comp, I was the opposite. I am left-eye-dominant, so the Besson fit me perfectly. I didn't have the 4-valve comp version on purpose, because of the same reach-around issues, and the community band I play in never has any repertoire that goes below 1+3 F below open BBb.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Americans sure do like to b!tch about top action tubas. :smilie7:
Paula
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Paula »

:tuba: Sounds like you've got a Besson Sovereignty 994 a giant in size and sound, they are the instrument of choice for the ultimate contra bass in British Brass Bands
:tuba:
Besson 984
B & S CC