6/4 glut

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
humBell

Re: 6/4 glut

Post by humBell »

Is "winner" a 6/4 word?

To go further off topic*, i auditioned for first time (on an instrument) and i was informed unfortunately they could not offer me a position at this time. I wonder if my playing a wee 3/3 eb had anything to do with it?

*sadly, my argumentivity needs work.
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
the elephant (Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:23 pm)

"All art is one." -Hal
Doc

Post by Doc »

humBell wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:27 pm Is "winner" a 6/4 word?
No, but it’s a world-class term.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The only other type of job where "winner" is used - that I can think of - is elections, and the overwhelming majority of election winners are crooked and incompetent, so I think it doesn't need to be used in relation to hires for musician positions.
dp

Post by dp »

rave:
The main glut is merchants and distributors selling the damn things.
But close behind are all the "studio" poseur teachers recruiting
and co-signing band parent check-writing instead of producing audition-winning players.
Reminds me of 20 faculty members occupying "art schools" at state colleges and universities...
and frankly its really no more valuable than gender studies or any number of things I won't be able to mention here in another year or two :coffee:

A real interesting thread would be titled "tuba studio glut" ...
a "merchant glut" as a topic? not so much. In a lot of very real ways,
the freak jury are responsible for this generation of button-pushing check-writing kids.
Co-signing cheap Shirt horn marketing in the old tube net sandbox just spawned a consumer group hell-bent on buying Shirt no one needs
and sure enough there were folks rushing to make a buck off of this perceived market. Meanwhile the majority
of up and coming players were slowly developing into a ripe consumer market. Without seeing the connection
today we have a 6 page thread decrying a big horn glut.
Sure, theres a lot of bubbies and cimbassi out there owned by hobby players entitled to toy ownership,
but when the demand for those novelties slowed, the factories and workforce that 20 years ago was building lawn chairs
started producing "really respectable 6/4 tubas" ...and 4/4 and 5/4 and so on and on and on. Take the bad with "the good"...I guess
These users thanked the author dp for the post (total 2):
bloke (Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:13 pm) • York-aholic (Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:44 pm)
pfft (yes, that's for you)