Greatest musical influences...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Re: Greatest musical influences...

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:55 pm And sometimes... You can even play them before you sell them. :tuba:
No way!

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

' anyone wanna buy my Holton B-flat, next week...?? :laugh:
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Let's see. Mine (currently) are:

- Chet Baker. His note choices and style are sublime. (I know: "brass player", but not why I like his playing)
- Jaco Pastorius. A true instrumental pioneer.
- Frank Sinatra. Style all around.
- Art Tatum. Unbelievable technique and taste. Paderewski used to trek up to Harlem to hear Art play.
- Einojuhani Rautavaara. My current composer crush. Here's a taste:

bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:28 pm ' anyone wanna buy my Holton B-flat, next week...?? :laugh:
How much?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:26 pm
bloke wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:28 pm ' anyone wanna buy my Holton B-flat, next week...?? :laugh:
How much?
How much ' ya got left?

...at least (with all the dough you're throwin' around) I can tell that you have no plans to send your kids off to kolij...(you: a wise man)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:08 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:26 pm
How much?
How much ' ya got left?

...at least (with all the dough you're throwin' around) I can tell that you have no plans to send your kids off to kolij...(you: a wise man)
Let's just say the rainy day for the rainy day fund has arrived.

So... How much? Didn't meet the bloke criteria for doing something different than other things you have?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I guess I'll sell it...LOL...but let me at least finish it and toot on it.
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Only two, really....Jascha Heifetz when I was a kid learning violin, and Daniel Guilet, who was my violin prof in college. I'm sort of a cross between gypsy and French.
Ace

Post by Ace »

Wow. One of your violin teachers was Daniel Guilet? That's a BIG name in the string world. Did you study with him at Baylor University where he taught late in life?

Ace
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:56 pm Only two, really....Jascha Heifetz when I was a kid learning violin, and Daniel Guilet, who was my violin prof in college. I'm sort of a cross between gypsy and French.
Have you ever taken up the squeezebox??
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
jtm

Post by jtm »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:13 am Probably Chuck Dallenbach. Because when I was about 8 years old, I bought a Canadian Brass cassette (largely against my parents recommendations of "I don't think you'd like that"). Once I heard the tuba sound, I was hooked. Damn near wore out that cassette.

I did meet Chuck once, when I was about 17, and took the train downtown to see their holiday concert (yikes, talk about being the age outlier...!). I told Chuck that he was the reason I started playing tuba, and that Ive been listening to him since I was 8 years old. He actually seemed surprised by both parts of that.

The great irony in this ... I've rarely played any BQ music, and don't listen to it very much either. :red:
I wonder how many kids saw them on Sesame Street (https://youtu.be/43SzCPLIK9A, https://youtu.be/NqtATLkMPGA), knew nothing about brass, and were inspired to learn more?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

"Who are your influences?" from "The Commitments" (1991)

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

The funniest part to me is Colm Meaney's house in Dublin features a prominent portrait of His Holiness the Pope. It also has a portrait of Elvis Presley *above* the Pope. The "Elvis" song at the end and his reaction are great!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Ace wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:37 am Wow. One of your violin teachers was Daniel Guilet? That's a BIG name in the string world. Did you study with him at Baylor University where he taught late in life?

Ace
I studied with him at Indiana University. He played like an angel in his 70s, and he had both a Strad and a Guaneri....I could tell the difference from outside the heavy metal door of his studio, and I liked the Guarneri better. That was just before he retired from the trio and from IU. I believe he went to Oklahoma right after IU.

Just for fun I should add who was on my Upper Division committee, in addition to Mr. Guilet: Janos Starker, Joseph Gingold, and William Primrose. As well as a few others from the string faculty.
Ace

Post by Ace »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:42 pm
Ace wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:37 am Wow. One of your violin teachers was Daniel Guilet? That's a BIG name in the string world. Did you study with him at Baylor University where he taught late in life?

Ace
I studied with him at Indiana University. He played like an angel in his 70s, and he had both a Strad and a Guaneri....I could tell the difference from outside the heavy metal door of his studio, and I liked the Guarneri better. That was just before he retired from the trio and from IU. I believe he went to Oklahoma right after IU.

Just for fun I should add who was on my Upper Division committee, in addition to Mr. Guilet: Janos Starker, Joseph Gingold, and William Primrose. As well as a few others from the string faculty.
Very impressive committee. Janos Starker was a world class cellist. (My wife and I attended his recital at University of Washington in Seattle in 1960.) Gingold and Primrose were of similar stature internationally. Mary Ann, with that sort of background, tutelage, and oversight why did you give up string instruments? Long ago you mentioned you played violin in the Tucson Symphony, which is a decent orchestra. What happened? Have you also done viola, cello, and bass work?

Ace
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I played in Memphis for a short while and one year in Albany (NY) Symphony. The year in Albany was after doing just about everything to make a living with violin, including a lesson business and even a stint as an electric violin in a rock band....and I learned that just because you're reasonably good at something does not mean you enjoy it. I went back to school after that "made it obvious" year in ASO, got my EE degree, and at 39 started doing something I was also good at and enjoyed to boot. Best decision I ever made....I realized at 30 that I was never going to be able to buy a house and was not going to have a financed retirement, plus I wasn't having fun. Now I've got the house and the financed retirement and have had great fun playing brass, which is a much better fit (violin was family-dictated.) When I first got to Tucson, I subbed for five concerts that season, including a John Williams concert (that was neat) and....yup, I still did not like it. So at 45 I took up the horn, the rest is history, and I'm a whole lot happier bothering the neighbors with various amplified farting noises.

Yeah I also play viola, and prefer that part in a quartet. I took a few cello lessons here, but the teacher wanted me to be MUCH more serious than I wanted to be, so I didn't continue. Farting noises are more fun.