Cronkite bag strap question

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Re: Cronkite bag strap question

Post by greenbean »

This is something I have been thinking about lately. I have concluded that trombonists rarely use the BP straps on trombone bags. So, I now default to a single BP strap on trombone bags. Regular BP can be ordered.

But tuba players? I thinks results of a survey would be a mix of opinions and practices. I generally prefer to throw the tuba over my right shoulder, for anything less than two blocks. So, for my bags, I plan to let tuba bag buyers specify regular BP or a single BP positioned to the left (for right shoulder) or to the right (for left shoulder). Same for euphonium.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Like. :thumbsup:
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I use one of the backpack straps often, and sometimes two, depending on what I have to carry. Carrying a tuba in each hand requires me to have a third arm for the music bag, which is often fully of lots of stuff and heavy. My Hirsbrunner in a gig bag, with another bag that has the stand and all my other stuff, weighs about 45 pounds total. Bloke may not mind that, but I do, if I have to go farther than about 200 feet.

I use the backpack straps for the larger instrument I'm carrying, and my hand for the other one. I had to find alternative shoulder straps for my Goetz Supersac, but the RB/GC bags are all functional. You guys complain that the straps are too high on the case, but I'm tall enough that it isn't a problem even with the Holton. Now, Protec was the very worst about that--the tuba would be banging against my calves. With the Goetz bag, I usually use the shoulder strap. The provided one was uncomfortable, and I replaced it with a high-strength non-slip shoulder strap from Red Oxx.

I have the hard case for my Eastman, but it's just too dang big and heavy. It takes two arms to hoist it into the Expedition, and if I'm carrying two instruments, that doesn't always work. I'm often enough (pre-Covid) leaving a rehearsal when it's snowing, and need to be able to put both tubas in the back of the Expedition without putting either one on the ground.

Rick "who wears a 44 jacket and doesn't need more separation between the shoulder straps" Denney
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Rick Denney wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 amRick "who wears a 44 jacket and doesn't need more separation between the shoulder straps" Denney
My screen name *is* rather descriptive…

Wade "the elephant" Rackley

:cheers:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

More often than not, I am able to park pretty darn near a stage door.
If I am not afforded a parking place near a stage door, there is almost always paving very close to the stage door, so I will drive up to a stage door unload one, two, three, or maybe even four instruments...maybe even an additional bass and amp - carrying all of that gear inside and placing it near some friendly colleagues who know whose equipment it all is, and then go park.
In particular, when there is precipitation this tack makes all sorts of sense, but - with or without precipitation, it just makes the most sense to me.
Don’t harp and even keyboard players do this routinely?
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

the elephant wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:42 am
Rick Denney wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 amRick "who wears a 44 jacket and doesn't need more separation between the shoulder straps" Denney
My screen name *is* rather descriptive…

Wade "the elephant" Rackley

:cheers:
Wade,
Ah. I'd thought it was about the ears. :teeth:
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

I've owned a Cronkhite for a 186 and my current King 2341 and never had any discomfort with the backpack straps. I'm a rather thin guy (not broad shouldered by any stretch of the imagination).
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."