amazing gift: Peterson electronic device

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: amazing gift: Peterson electronic device

Post by bloke »

When a tone generator feeds a very low frequency pitch through a half inch diameter speaker, mostly what many people are going to hear will be out-of-tune overtones.

matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 am When a tone generator feeds a very low frequency pitch through a half inch diameter speaker, mostly what many people are going to hear will be out-of-tune overtones.
Yeah, because you’re well below the response of the driver and get nonlinear effects.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

Is it better to play the drones through my stereo at home? That's when I use them most, anyway.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yorkboy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 am Is it better to play the drones through my stereo at home? That's when I use them most, anyway.

Mostly (I suspect) our ears focus on the octaves and fifths generated above a very low generated-by-whatever pitch.

Probably (??) larger speakers are less likely to produce those overtones out-of-tune.

bloke "all above: guesses"
matt g

Post by matt g »

Yorkboy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 am Is it better to play the drones through my stereo at home? That's when I use them most, anyway.
Typically, yes.

A decent set of loudspeakers should be able to drive 50Hz reliably. Mid-grade and high end stuff can drive down to 20Hz without too much issue, although the amplifier might have an issue at higher levels. But for most single frequency drone type stuff at moderate levels, pretty much and decent system is okay.

Another nice option is a decent practice amp designed for an electric bass guitar. I would use that for my drone and it did a nice job.

I also used to play my DB-66 through the bass amp while giving lessons. What an effective tool that was!
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)