LOST/MISSING/STOLEN 6/4 5v BBb Tuba!!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tim Jackson

Re: LOST/MISSING/STOLEN 6/4 5v BBb Tuba!!

Post by Tim Jackson »

...and that reminds me, back in the mid-70s I was moving my 186 around in a huge shipping trunk. Mainly because I could also pack most of my clothes in the case when I went off to school- Vandercook College of Music (mainly to study with Jake). Well, on one of my trips the trunk with tuba and all my personal items went missing. No one could account for it up and down the long line of transfers between Mobile Alabama and Chicago Il. Finally, out of sheer frustration, I went downtown to the Chicago Greyhound station. After quizzing the shipping agent for a while with no luck I decided I was not leaving till I looked back in the back. I slipped around the agent's desk and looked through the door and... yes, way in the back corner was my trunk!
Hey, that's my missing trunk! The agent said, "oh, someone may have put it back there because it was too heavy" Of course, I was so glad to find it I didn't really complain much.

I have never been failed by Greyhound but now since the insurance guarantee is so low I can't risk a mishap. Most tubas are 5K plus these days and $300-$500 insurance is not feasable.

Tim Jackson is

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

😐
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

It might be considered a standard thing in the future to start shipping horns with a GPS tracker. It's probably worth the extra money...I'm guessing $50? I don't know, I've never looked into it. Lost horns very likely go in some room at these stations, and nobody at the station gives a damn about something someone that isn't them may have lost.
These users thanked the author BopEuph for the post:
Doc (Tue May 17, 2022 8:18 am)
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
humBell

Post by humBell »

Too lazy to look and see if i have relayed my experience last year, but the short version is a month went by, and i just started expecting it (while the shipper had been climbing walls with frustration) when i got a call from someone at greyhound who explained that there was this large box, and the only label it had was my name and phone number, and no accompanying paper work. turned out it had gone exactly one stop... i put them in touch with shipper, and sent them the various numbers and paper work the shipper had shared with me. I think it took them a day to get back to the shipper, and work things out, and well, a second month later it showed up at my bus stop, and i got a call just in time to pick it up before something woulda taken me out of town for roughly the period that they will hold a package for you before they get cross. So i grabbed it right away, and all was right with my little fortunate corner of the world... I am pretty sure the shipper won't use greyhound again for quite some time.

To contrast that a month later another shipper from the same are (~3,000 miles away) sent a tuba (fedex i believe) and it arrive in ~30 hours!? I don't think i had even notice it had been shipped.
"All art is one." -Hal
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

BopEuph wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:18 am It might be considered a standard thing in the future to start shipping horns with a GPS tracker. It's probably worth the extra money...I'm guessing $50? I don't know, I've never looked into it. Lost horns very likely go in some room at these stations, and nobody at the station gives a damn about something someone that isn't them may have lost.
My thought when reading this was to hide an apple airtag, or something similar, in the case - which the buyer can then mail back in an envelope easily.

I do hope this tuba is found after all this time
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff