Buyer beware: we're still in a pandemic

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bone-a-phone

Re: Buyer beware: we're still in a pandemic

Post by bone-a-phone »

I've bought two used instruments and at least one mouthpiece since the pandemic started. I took the case out of the packaging outside, and sprayed with Lysol. Then I sprayed down the instrument itself with isopropyl alcohol while it was still in the case, then took it out, and sprayed it again, poured alcohol down the inside, and sloshed it around, and then took a shower with the instrument, flushing out the alcohol, and using Dawn soap to snake it out. Removed and cleaned all the slides and valves, etc. It's not that much work for a new (to you) horn. Stuff you'd probably do normally anyway.

LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

when Bobeuph wrote me about starting this thread (thank you by the way) I told him, among other things...

"Rational people can have a rational discussion. Right?"

Thank you for proving me right
Yep, I'm Mark
Worth

Post by Worth »

I've been in health care all my life. It's all common sense. I agree with prior posts regarding standard precautions. Assume everyone has it, deal with it, and move on. I've made two recent personal sales transactions without mask and with shaking hands. I'm not afraid of others. A little hand sanitizer works wonders.
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

:thumbsup:
hup_d_dup wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:13 am If I buy a mouthpiece I don't much care if it comes from someone with COVID, nor does it matter if they tell me or not.

I assume every seller has the virus, and that no one cleans their mouthpieces before shipment.

The procedure to protect is fairly simple. COVID is not anthrax.

Hup
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

any instrument i buy gets a bath... first thing. mouthpieces too... i've done this forever. way before covid. only way i feel comfortable. i use sterisol on mouthpieces. i got a big spray bottle of it...
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

How big of a deal is this really? By the time you receive a shipped, used instrument or mouthpiece whatever was/is on it is likely long-dead. Wash the mouthpiece (I'd do this in any case) and play the instrument! Get over your fear and enjoy your new purchase!
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (Trombone/Board)