Tenor Tuba Orchestra Part List

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Tenor Tuba Orchestra Part List

Post by bloke »

' have spent time working on/messing around with a Gautrot...added an additional upper tone hole and mechanism to one (one more higher half-step), replaced key springs, extensive resoldering, re-padding, dent removal, etc...

They make a racket, not round/resonant like a tuba or euphonium, and just doesn't "carry" as much.

French bassoons are smaller bore, and more nasal (not louder, but more attention-getting - such as with the more-piercing sound of a smaller-bore trombone).

some cool pics, and several are of French bassoons:
https://kingkristopher.com/tag/french-bassoon/

If you've not played on an ophicleide, pick up a baritone saxophone (saxophone fingerings are the same fingerings as recorder, and the octave key is the same as the hole on the back - though no "half-holing", because the instrument does that automatically), plug a trombone mouthpiece into the neck, and mess with it. That will give you a very good idea of the (I would describe as "hollow") resonance/output potential of an ophicleide.

If this sidebar is supposed to be a debate (??), I need to hand my "side" (??) if it off to someone else, eat dinner, and resume working on @tubaing's Holton's valve section mounting job (which is coming along pretty well). :cheers:

Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

Snake Charmer wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:28 pm
to the ophicleides. Those instruments weren’t all that loud…not even an orchestra is 200 years ago…
Playing them in anger helps cutting through an orchestra. If the rest is too loud, take more ophicleides!
So a Bb Saxhorn would be the appropriate instrument for Planets?
Absolutely!
Truly a dangerous man! 🤣
If a scary sound is what is needed, I'd like to suggest 2 King Eb Monsters in the last Fantastique movement. JC had one where it's Eb scale had every note but that. the horror...
bloke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:38 pm ' have spent time working on/messing around with a Gautrot...added an additional upper tone hole and mechanism to one (one more higher half-step), replaced key springs, extensive resoldering, re-padding, dent removal, etc...

They make a racket, not round/resonant like a tuba or euphonium, and just doesn't "carry" as much.

French bassoons are smaller bore, and more nasal (not louder, but more attention-getting - such as with the more-piercing sound of a smaller-bore trombone).

some cool pics, and several are of French bassoons:
https://kingkristopher.com/tag/french-bassoon/

If you've not played on an ophicleide, pick up a baritone saxophone (saxophone fingerings are the same fingerings as recorder, and the octave key is the same as the hole on the back - though no "half-holing", because the instrument does that automatically), plug a trombone mouthpiece into the neck, and mess with it. That will give you a very good idea of the (I would describe as "hollow") resonance/output potential of an ophicleide.

If this sidebar is supposed to be a debate (??), I need to hand my "side" (??) if it off to someone else, eat dinner, and resume working on @tubaing's Holton's valve section mounting job (which is coming along pretty well). :cheers:
There used to be a youtube video of a guy doing that with a bass sax and a tuba mouthpiece.

Does anyone know what exact instrument was used in the Bobo Planets recording? To my ears it sounds very much like an American baritone, though it could be any old euphonium with a similar sound concept to contemporary tuba players.
Matt Good
Has thanked: 0

Post by Matt Good »

Add these two:
Bernstein: Divertimento (Tuba doubles on euphonium)
Carl Ruggles: Sun Treader
These users thanked the author Matt Good for the post:
bloke (Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:38 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Matt is a walking encyclopedia of works and their instrumentation.