Met my tuba hero today

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Met my tuba hero today

Post by bloke »

I’m much more shy in person than on the Internet, and I really tend to avoid “bothering“ people. (With the Internet, anyone/everyone can scroll past my words, but - when others are confronted in real time - I am forcing them to spend moments of their life with me.)
Back in the 1980s - when I was able to hear Mr. Bobo and the LA trombones play some excerpts in a small venue, some friends of mine and I walked up afterwards. Several of my friends spoke up, but I remained silent - and just listened - as I had done during the program.
I’ve played behind and worked for/with quite a few so-called “superstars“, but it just doesn’t seem right to bug them, or ask them for a picture or autograph, because – after all – we don’t know each other or know anything about each other… and – really – who would I be fooling, were such pictures posted by me on Facebook, etc.?

I don’t chat up the stage hands (who have their work to do), so why should I chat those people up (who are also there to work) ?

Back around 1982 or so – when I was doing a lot of touring and festivals with a jazz band – our band was playing at a large venue (the largest venue – which was an outdoor venue at the intersection of 4th and J St., as an old building has been scraped, and a new one had not yet been constructed) at the Sacramento Dixieland Jubilee. We were up next, and Don Goldie and his band were up after us. Being backstage sitting around a table, it was a legitimate time to “chat people up“. Don (jazz trumpet virtuoso) and Red Hawley (drummer) – had both been musicians on the Gleason Show, and I was in awe of both of them.
In particular, I was focusing more on Red (who - by then - was white haired), due to his Audio Fidelity recordings with the original Dukes of Dixieland - during the late 1950s through the early 1960s, as his bebop-ish traditional jazz style was absolutely awesome. Needless to say, I was also in awe of Goldie, who played trumpet like an angel.
What really amazed me was that – at a subsequent festival (where both of our bands were appearing again) – both of them called me by name - before I had a chance to remind them of who I was and where we had previously met.
It’s instructive how many really exceptional people are also really personable people.
Last edited by bloke on Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I talked to Arnold Jacobs one time. Called his house and he answered his own phone. I don't know know why, but I wasn't expecting that. To a guy fresh out of college, it was like calling God and having his pick up the phone

I was calling to see if I could have a lesson while my wife and I were in Chicago for our honeymoon. He was surprised but said yes.

Then... We were gifted airline tickets to Chicago, and I didn't have a hard case for my tuba. I wasn't going to show up for a lesson without a tuba, so it never happened. Missed opportunity (still had a great time in Chicago)

These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 3):
the elephant (Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:32 am) • Casca Grossa (Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:45 pm) • York-aholic (Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:55 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

LeMark wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am I talked to Arnold Jacobs one time. Called his house and he answered his own phone. I don't know know why, but I wasn't expecting that. To a guy fresh out of college, it was like calling God and having his pick up the phone

I was calling to see if I could have a lesson while my wife and I were in Chicago for our honeymoon. He was surprised but said yes.

Then... We were gifted airline tickets to Chicago, and I didn't have a hard case for my tuba. I wasn't going to show up for a lesson without a tuba, so it never happened. Missed opportunity (still had a great time in Chicago)

That. Is. Fantastic.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

My best advice -- in life, love, tuba, career, etc -- meeting famous people -- act like you've been there before.

Many years ago, I played an audition in front of Mike Bunn. I was like 15, and super nervous. He said "if you sweat any more, you're gonna start sweating blood." It made me laugh, but also humanized the audition process, and I never looked back.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I dialed up Mr. Jacobs at home on the telephone myself - once - as well.

He was very polite/personable/willing to talk.

After building up/chopping down an old 3-valve ($80 - pawn shop) Holton BB-340 to a C instrument, (and it had featured these same intonation stumbling blocks prior to shortening it) it featured the typical flat-lower-G/high-upper-F (as do so many of the York-alikes). Being naive, I was hoping to ask him if his genuine York instrument featured the same characteristics. What I got (again, though cheerfully delivered, very polite, and very respectful) was that the York instrument "plays perfectly in tune", which wasn't particularly helpful (nor believed - and I was cheerful/polite as well...even congratulatory).

Later, the subsequent player of the (by then: CSO-owned) instrument confirmed that the instrument features most all of the same work-arounds as those instruments (either closely or sort-of) patterned after it. :smilie8:

bloke "As a sidebar, I've found that the Yamaha instruments are much easier with which to cope, yet I've no desire to own one."
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Here's the pic from my first meeting with Chuck. Oh I wish I was this weight again.
Attachments
325618_10150526768046584_1206626129_o (1).jpg
325618_10150526768046584_1206626129_o (1).jpg (161.69 KiB) Viewed 659 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Inkin (Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:18 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

So I take it the check was good??

Did he try to pay in CN$?? :huh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I would trust him to pay tomorrow, as long as his name isn’t Wimpy.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Three Valves wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:41 pm So I take it the check was good??

Did he try to pay in CN$?? :huh:
No check, just a 40 pound sack of Toonies. :laugh:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
djwpe (Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:01 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

GOSH!!

I hope he didn't have his account frozen/confiscated up there. :teeth:

Why not buy it back, then advertise "once owned by renown tuba player, Chuck D??"
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I find it interesting that - back earlier in his career - people who avoided foreign wars were considered to be “leftists”, whereas now people who are in favor of avoiding foreign wars are considered to be “right wing“.
‘ no further comments/thoughts on this...OTHER THAN this:

The older I become, the more nonsensical things that I see occur over-and-over, and the more I see large groups of people manipulated in the very same ways over-and-over, the more I realize that most people prefer to not think for themselves - preferring the false-safety of group-think - EVEN WHEN the only two overwhelming-in-size think-groups BOTH mostly think circular/stupid-if-not-suicidal thoughts. 😶

(To CD, I offer an e-handshake.)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
TubātōTubŏtō (Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:54 am)
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:45 pm I would trust him to pay tomorrow, as long as his name isn’t Wimpy.
Well... it IS Tuesday...
These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 2):
bloke (Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:35 pm) • windshieldbug (Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:06 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

It's Two's Day- 2/22/22.
These users thanked the author sweaty for the post (total 2):
Doc (Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:19 pm) • bloke (Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:45 pm)