CC Tubas and BBb Tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Stryk

Re: CC Tubas and BBb Tubas

Post by Stryk »

I mainly play a C tuba because it is the first horn I bought when I was in college. It was a good horn - Mirafone 186 - and it motivated me to practice. I own many horns, some great, some sucky. Most of the time I play my C tubas, but I do have a BBb that is wonderful that I love to play. Which is better? The good quality ones. :tuba:

Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
jtm

Post by jtm »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:05 pm...but band students play B-flat tubas (only) and band directors teach B-flat tuba (only).
I bought my first C tuba, mostly on a whim, because a local high school kid (or his parents) were selling it for a great price. Andhe had it because his private lesson teacher convinced them that if he was serious and wanted to be a tuba player beyond high school he should have a C tuba. He ended up liking the school-owned big rotary Bb tuba instead, so I got a great deal on the C.

Pressure on high school kids to try C tubas must be pretty rare, but here's an example of it happening, and it may happen a surprising amount where there are families able to commit some money to helping their kids act like they're super-serious about band.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was motivated to practice when I got a brand new C tuba at age 17, but I think I would’ve been just as motivated to practice had I gotten a brand new B-flat tuba (particularly if my teacher had also been playing a B-flat tuba).

That particular C instrument was a 4-valve 186 that had a fairly flat open G and a fairly flat open E (as these instruments weren’t as consistent decades ago as they are now). Of course, low F became less reliable - having to use a work-around fingering (124). Sometimes, I wonder if I would’ve done better buying a nice brand new King B-flat, except for the fact that they were still making the 1241 - which featured #1 and #3 circuits which were way too long.
The Miraphone 186 B-flat featured/features a mostly inaccessible #4 slide, and I’m not sure if they ever made it to where it can even be pulled out to play 2-4 in tune.
“Back in the old days“ there just weren’t as many tubas that were as easy to play. 😐
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

Note that the OP already owns a BBb tuba considered by many as a "pretty good tuba": Wessex's HB clone "Lucern". He really doesn't need a different BBb tuba!

The band director part: I played in school band and my jr. high teacher played trumpet and my HS band director played reeds. When trying to explain a part, they both picked up their trumpet or clarinet which was next to their music stand and demonstrated. The HS director was a very strong reed man (first call player in the Seattle union) and would point that clarinet right at you and play along with a loud, shrill tone you could hear and maybe understand what you should be doing. You can't really pick up a tuba and demonstrate a part. From my experience, a director needs to have a trumpet (or small reed instrument) to demonstrate parts to the band.