stage presence

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
jonesbrass

Re: stage presence

Post by jonesbrass »

2nd tenor wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:22 am I’ve heard some fantastic music played on Recorders, but surely everyone knows that they’re screechy instruments with a limited range.
:laugh:
I’m glad Bach, Telemann, Handel, Vivaldi, etc. disagreed with you on that one.

Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

2nd tenor wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:22 am
what I realized was that true virtuosos on any instrument could make me forget what the instrument(s)/music was and just become immersed in the music & performance.
I think that that is right, well it works for me. I’ve heard some fantastic music played on Recorders, but surely everyone knows that they’re screechy instruments with a limited range. As they say it ain’t what you’ve got it’s what you do with it and whilst I’m sure some folk can give wonderful solo performances on their particular instruments they’re probably the same type of (rare) folk that can run up hill pulling a heavy load behind them.
Context is helpful.🙂
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

btw... (original topic)
I tend to mock those who love to make a distinction between "amateur" and "professional".

Poor vs. good stage presence is immediately noticed, whether the patrons are attending a concert of paid musicians or a concert of "strictly-for-the-love-of-it" musicians.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

bloke wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:55 pm btw... (original topic)
I tend to mock those who love to make a distinction between "amateur" and "professional".

Poor vs. good stage presence is immediately noticed, whether the patrons are attending a concert of paid musicians or a concert of "strictly-for-the-love-of-it" musicians.
I’m a bit puzzled by that mocking but maybe I’m coming at things from a different angle than you. To my mind there’s a lot of difference between the skill sets of players and many would starve if they played for a living - pretty certain I’d go hungry. On the other hand I’ve met folk that don’t or no longer play for a living but could successfully do so if they wanted to. I guess that a professional musician plays to get an income and that some are no more able than amateurs who choose to earn their wages in some other way.

Stage presence, I guess that some folk have it naturally - can’t say that I do - and some folk learn it along they way. It’s all about putting a show on for the audience and part of that is how the product is displayed and wrapped up.
Breavdah

Post by Breavdah »

I blame Wenger Chairs. The Wenger Chair is supposedly built for optimum performance but encourages slouching. They were so aggressively sold they are now omnipresent and the children know nothing but it. They are no longer taught to sit properly, with nothing but the tailbone on the front ledge of chair only.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The proper definitions of “amateur” and “professional” have nothing to do with skill level.
========
I sit on the front edges of most chairs that are purchased for use on stage. I guess I could bring a chair, but I’m just not a person to lug Extra stuff with me, and the chair wouldn’t match. The main point of concerts is visual, and only a few people actually listen to the music.