Erie, PA TubaChristmas musings

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
humBell

Re: Erie, PA TubaChristmas musings

Post by humBell »

Three Valves wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:14 am
2nd tenor wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:13 pm Diversity was mentioned further up the thread. There’s very little racial diversity in the UK Brass Bands that I’ve knowledge of, and every Band that I’ve been in welcomes learners regardless of race and regardless of colour. Perhaps Brass music just hasn’t the cultural appeal. On other diversity we have age, sex/gender and sexual orientation in abundance; so long as everyone’s happy and making decent enough music I really don’t care much about the rest.
I would think there would be Indian participants or even Indian Regiment themed bands. :huh:

In Philadelphia, PA, USA there is a New Years Day Mummers parade. There are neighborhood bands and others that are culturally based such as Italian/Polish/Irish American String Bands. While the music, costumes and acts are still Minstrel Show themed, the Blackface and Men Only rules died out through the 70's. It is no longer exlusive, but still Euro-male dominated. Although there are NO BRASS INSTRUMENTS :eyes: It is the only place I am aware of that still regularly uses true bass saxephones. :smilie7:
They march with upright basses too, which is a hoot. One bass player dressed up in a tree costume let me take his picture for the cheap price of admitting the eagles were good.

"All art is one." -Hal