drill of the millennium

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: drill of the millennium

Post by bloke »

Back to the exercise that is the topic of the post:
I'm really interested in becoming really good at playing it (and in a handful of keys). I can target shoot just fine with my F tuba - which is my so-called "main" instrument (though I don't use it on very many gigs these days), but I would like to be able to target shoot a little more accurately with this huge new to me instrument...
...OK: because I use it on quite a few gigs, these days.

I tend to suspect (could be wrong...??) these exercises were written back when most horn players played single F horns with valves...I sort of liken playing above the staff with a big B-flat tuba to playing high on a single F horn.

jtuba

Post by jtuba »

arpthark wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:54 pm
bloke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:10 pm
pjv wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:28 pm If you're into challenging your Bb reading/valve mashing I can truly recomend Verne Reynolds' 48 Studies for French Horn. I just play them in C, but I don't think it really makes a difference which key you play them in. They can be real head bangers.
I have Cherry Beauregard's old crappy manuscript version, and have been reading back through them (now: on my B-flat tuba).
...It was SO crappy, that I had to take a ruler - to each line on each staff on each page - and re-trace every single line. :smilie6:

As is known (yes?) the first 24 are pairs of slow-fast etudes concentrating on each of the basic intervals (ex: #'s 1 & 2 are studies on the interval of the semitone), and the subsequent 24 are mix-and-match.
Let me know if you'd like a clean typeset PDF.
@arpthark Is this one you prepared or a scan of the commercial one that was out for a while? Just asking, not implying anything.Thanks
These users thanked the author jtuba for the post:
bloke (Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:35 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Actually, you made me realize that although Cherry's edition is out of print, the original isn't, and Schirmer might not like me if I left that offer up. Regardless of being out of print, they are still both likely under copyright. So I will avoid the litigious tuba forum scourers and amend my original post.

re: drill of the millennium, that is a great exercise. I used to use that as part of my day-lee roo-teen, but I only ever did the lower octave, and only in the written key. I'll put it on the docket for tomorrow, without the Do Not Pass Go/Do Not Collect $200 punishing clause.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:58 pm Actually, you made me realize that although Cherry's edition is out of print, the original isn't, and Schirmer might not like me if I left that offer up. Regardless of being out of print, they are still both likely under copyright. So I will avoid the litigious tuba forum scourers and amend my original post.

re: drill of the millennium, that is a great exercise. I used to use that as part of my day-lee roo-teen, but I only ever did the lower octave, and only in the written key. I'll put it on the docket for tomorrow, without the Do Not Pass Go/Do Not Collect $200 punishing clause.
I wouldn't mind receiving the file. I paid decent money (a good bit, back then, and much more now - if inflation adjusted) for my crappy book. At least, I should've gotten something legible...and I'm sure Schirmer paid CB for the edition/transcription - as crappy as it was.