POLL

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.

I would buy a Miraphone tuba for $4500 that features this bell.

yes
6%
no
94%

Total votes: 34

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: POLL

Post by bloke »

yeah...I'm thinking a smaller sound-hole and (rather than length valves) only one ON-OFF valve (mostly: OFF) would be a significant improvement...

Last edited by bloke on Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

^ has a kranz, so not an "S" model...
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
bloke (Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:53 am) • cjk (Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:39 am)
Blake
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post:
bloke (Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:53 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:48 am
bloke wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:24 amI put those on (so far) two instruments to be silly, but - you know... - thieves are so damn dumb, that they would probably LEAVE THOSE ON THERE when advertising them for sale. :bugeyes: ...and - if they pawned them - a pawn shop certainly would not remove them. They're not anywhere close to as good as a GPS device but (based on what I just said) they might (??) actually have some (not anti-theft, but) recovery abilities.
On horns I like enough to keep a long time, I will typically stamp them using a letter/number punch set in an inconspicuous spot such that no one else can find it unless I tell them where. Urban decay is prevalent enough that they don’t think twice about robbing people of possessions even as large as a tuba or two.
and...(as I've mentioned before)...
"This place will be secure, so you can leave your instruments here."
---------------------
me: during lunchbreak and realizing that I left my phone charging in the hall - I go back, am able to WALK RIGHT IN, retrieve my phone, and (sure) could have taken any/all instruments sitting around on the backstage tables.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

bloke said:
and...(as I've mentioned before)...
"This place will be secure, so you can leave your instruments here."
---------------------
me: during lunchbreak and realizing that I left my phone charging in the hall - I go back, am able to WALK RIGHT IN, retrieve my ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently, same. "These green rooms will be locked during the lunch break." (Navy wwind quintet playing with community band, a couple months ago: rehearsal, lunch, concert. BTW the Navy's San Diego-based wwind quintet's horn player, a young woman, is one of the best horn players I have EVER heard, and I've heard Phil Myers up close.)

Men's wasn't locked. Instruments all over the place. Not only that, but the female string bass player went in the men's green room and practiced during lunch. Nobody there. Expensive trombones lying on tables out of their cases, etc. I was glad I brought my lunch and stayed with my horn, eating with a few others in the ladies' green room.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

A pretty safe rule is that the only person who really cares about you is your mama (unless your mama is crack-_ _ _ _ _) and the only person who cares about your property is you.
cjk

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:09 am A pretty safe rule is that the only person who really cares about you is your mama (unless your mama is crack-_ _ _ _ _) and the only person who cares about your property is you.
truth.