Miraphone 1291 B-flat intonation vs. 1291/2/3 C intonation

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
russiantuba

Re: Miraphone 1291 B-flat intonation vs. 1291/2/3 C intonation

Post by russiantuba »

bloke wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:50 am With the C instruments, others report otherwise, but I find the C's to all line up pretty well, but the open G's and E to all be flat to the C's.

OK...but I'd much rather lip up some than relax down. Lipping up is much easier.
I find my low C is a bit flat (I’m the opposite, I’d rather lip down). I always use E as 12 fingering for color, an old Bob LeBlanc thing I’m told, and G I agree is flat, BUT if I can’t lip it up (as it’s close and not hard to do), 13 with a pull works fine.

A side note: I was at a conference once where I was trying a horn that I couldn’t reach the slides. The exhibitor even was pulling out his tuner and said how I didn’t need to move slides on the horn because the tuning was so good. I spent more time and left saying it’s the most out of tune horn I’ve played in a long time (and I was using an old B&S F at the same time). I couldn’t bend the pitches where I needed them, and I will still say a horn that plays in tune with a tuner probably is going to have a hard time playing with others in actual ensemble settings.

Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Miraphone 1291 B-flat intonation vs. 1291/2/3 C intonation

Post by bloke »

That's a bunch of work...as much as with an old Alex.