Wesex making a piston BBb/CC cimbasso

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Oedipoes

Re: Wesex making a piston BBb/CC cimbasso

Post by Oedipoes »

bloke wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:37 am unknown territory for me.
Are there any contrabass ones that are easily playable and still sound like a trombone - rather than a euphonium or tuba...??
Yes, Mike Johnson Custom, in every key you want:
Bass and contrabass, rotor or piston, compensated or not and even a full double Eb-Bb version!

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm aware of Mike's build prowess, and I already have them in every key/length that I desire (one: F-length) and am absolutely delighted with it, but my question was/is whether one built to that length/scale will still sound like an extra-large trombone (as I believe any of these should), rather than more like a wrong-length/wrong-bore euphonium, and whether (even if built exquisitely) if such a thing would/will be useful/functional, as far as the musical results and ease of playing characteristics are concerned.

As an example, here's Rudy Meinl's BB-flat "cimbasso", but (just based on what I'm seeing) I wonder how it can't end up feeling/playing/sounding like a really messed-up euphonium.

...in other words, when the expanding part of the instrument and bell are no longer is within the size/scope of any trombone bell (as they remain with Rudy Meinl's F instrument - as well as Jinbao's knockoff of this instrument)...
...and even though I would not build an F instrument with a valveset bore this large:

dp

Post by dp »

Three Valves wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:44 pm I think they should come with a pair of knee cymbals, a bass drum to sling over your back and a pet monkey. :teeth:
Just like their CEO's act, eh? It sure worked on a lot of "us" the past 15 years!

:tuba:
pfft (yes, that's for you)
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

“matt g” wrote:I don’t get this layout.

Looks like a poor hand position for extended playing and the slide accessibility appears to be lacking.

It would be interesting if someone were to rig up a (front action) compensating piston cluster into a cimbasso. And then put first and third slides very close to where the body is gripped.

I’m actually thinking in the realm of seldom used low brass things, an actual substitute for the ophicleide with valves and modern pitch with the bell in similar dimensions with similar orientation would be pretty cool in terms of offering an option in timbre that’s not super accessible at the moment.
I built one in E flat, although not compensating.

The slides are accessible, but I decided it would be easier to build a “pitch finder” into it instead.
Attachments
7A72B795-351D-4180-A35D-DF7BAF0CDCF8.jpeg
7A72B795-351D-4180-A35D-DF7BAF0CDCF8.jpeg (115.53 KiB) Viewed 578 times
4BFA81D3-F52E-4BD0-9E5F-4BA4128F8A9A.jpeg
4BFA81D3-F52E-4BD0-9E5F-4BA4128F8A9A.jpeg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 578 times
These users thanked the author Yorkboy for the post (total 3):
bloke (Sat May 27, 2023 6:14 pm) • matt g (Sat May 27, 2023 6:39 pm) • Estubist (Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:45 am)
matt g

Post by matt g »

@Yorkboy, you build some awesome stuff!
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
Yorkboy (Sat May 27, 2023 8:12 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Tubanist
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tubanist »

I'm looking for a Cimbasso in Bb.

I love my Cerveny CBB-691,but sometimes it's just a beast and overload of Sound. And it's also heavy.

I was hoping to find a reasonable priced Cimbasso in Bb with rotary Valves, for i don't like playing on piston Valves. Reasonable because it will always just be the number 2.

Sadly Wessex doesn't offer the Cimbasso in Bb with rotary Valves and i didn't find any other offer.

Does anybody of you know if Wessex will come up with the rotary Valves as an Option or if there are any other offers for a cimbasso in Bb?

Best regards and Thanks in advance
Bjoern
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

I have only seen 1 BBb Cimbasso in my lifetime and the guy who built it is by now either dead or has no interest in selling it. From what I understand, you will most likely never find one in BBb due to the inherent nature of an instrument pitched in that key. It looks to me like you will have to settle for one in F.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Side query: Why does Wessex build all this weird stuff? Surely there is not much market, and what they are offering changes all the time.
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

Mary Ann wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:30 am Side query: Why does Wessex build all this weird stuff? Surely there is not much market, and what they are offering changes all the time.
Who knows? Apparently they have a couple of guys here in the US that if "X" number of inquiries are made, they jump on it to try to get such a product on the US market.
These users thanked the author Schlepporello for the post:
Mary Ann (Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:41 pm)
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
dp

Post by dp »

Three Valves wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:44 pm I think they should come with a pair of knee cymbals, a bass drum to sling over your back and a pet monkey. :teeth:
funny AF
Schlepporello wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:43 am Apparently they have a couple of guys here in the US that if "X" number of inquiries are made, they jump on it to try to get such a product on the US market.
x2
pfft (yes, that's for you)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Is there one built in A for orchestra playing?
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

cjk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:58 am I would expect that the "L" section in the prototype picture would need to be significantly reinforced. To me, it looks like it would eventually bend.
My thoughts exactly. Way too much weight on the bell side.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Okay okay OKAY...!!!

I give up. You guys keep badgering me, and I guess I'll go ahead and cut some really cool curvy looking sort of 60 psychedelic JS initials out of sheet brass and fit them this shape:

:laugh:
bloke "and y'all know damn well that I'm really going to do it; after all, the world's best F cimbasso deserves this" :laugh:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
cjk (Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:00 am)