I nearly bought myself a new tuba...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
donn

Re: I nearly bought myself a new tuba...

Post by donn »

Three Valves wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:00 am It's getting to be where there are two kinds of people...

Those that don't live there and people that don't want to live there!
There are two kinds of people - people who can afford to live there, and people who can't.

I'm in the second category. If demand hadn't driven house prices to a million for an ordinary house, I'd probably be there now. But whether you have a million to spend or not, it's a questionable investment considering the future of water supply.

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Thank God I both can't afford to live there and am smart enough to not try to live there.

Korean War housing (probably meant to last 5 - 10 years)...Those are probably the only (as cheap as) "million dollar" houses.

I don't criticize those who don't leave, 'cause I don't want them heading this-a-way.

My family lived three for two or three years (yup: Korean War) before I was born...They bought a house, and rented out the one back here.

That was before southern California (and most American cities) became a wasteland.

(My Dad was a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy - on leave from SEARS, and was in charge of a quonset hut full of draftmen who spec'ed out ball bearings - to determine how many - for various applications - were duplicates, and which companies were selling those that were the same at the lowest prices. Mostly, a female officer ran it for him, and he played golf.)
NapoleonWilson

Post by NapoleonWilson »

Lived in Southern California (Palm Desert and Corona) for a while. Just visited LA for fun a few weeks ago.

Played Golf, toured the Chinese Theater, saw a movie across the street at the El Capitan, went to see Ohtani pitch at the Big A, hit a bunch of movie filming locations, went to Watts Tower, hiked a bit in Topanga Canyon.

Is it expensive to live there? YES. Does the state have some goofy ideas? YES………but ultimately, people are people, and they’re not much different in LA County than they are in Peoria.

The “California is a hellhole” schtick is about as exhausted as Octomom’s OBGYN. And it’s about as thin skinned as someone needing trigger warnings to go through life safely.

America, as is usually the case these days, could use a little scar tissue.
These users thanked the author NapoleonWilson for the post:
Kirley (Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:43 am)
Meinl Weston 195P
B&S JBL Classics
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Memphis has lot's of stealin', shootin', and killin'...ALL OVER TOWN...no such thing as "safe areas"...
(I ONLY go there to play gigs, and NEVER shop nor stop ANYWHERE - over there, to or from a gig.)

...BUT (unlike SoCal, and much of coastal CA)
- no tent cities
- Politics, etc., there are kooky, but not quite SoCal kooky.
- $250K houses only cost $250K, and the 1950's during-and-post-Korean-War cheapass houses are only about $200K (vs. $1M - $2M in SoCal).
- Taxes on those $250K houses are "way too damn high", but - still - probably only c. $4000/yr.
- It takes me about 30 - 40 minutes to get my boo-tocks OUT of that city/county, where the only shootin' is at food, and - when (maybe once every couple of years) some Memphis dumbass comes over into this county and tries to rob a gas station - they - more than likely - end up DEAD, and taxes are I-ain't-tellin'-y'all how crazy-low over here in blokecounty.

Some people stay-and-stay-and-stay at really sucky-bad places/situations...I've probably quit more enterprises and places than some people have done...(offered explanation for leaving/quitting/etc...) "to spend more time with my family", etc...because the place or enterprise...well...sucks really bad. I left that suck-town at age 50, and - yep - I haven't made as much money due to having left...but I'm QUITE sure that - had we stayed and continued doing what we were doing - that either me, Mrs. bloke, or BOTH of us would have ended up either shot or dead.