New Mike Johnson “Fletcher” Leadpipe

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Re: New Mike Johnson “Fletcher” Leadpipe

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:10 am I post about this idea too often, but if I had a chance to play in a really top notch brass band like Bill's or maybe even a bunch of local Memphis Symphony musicians plus regular subs or something like that, I would probably purchase a JP, purchase a Yamaha yeb-321 bell, and build myself a brand spanking new 15-in compensating E flat, were it that I was assigned the E flat part. It's just too hard to find old English made 15 inch bell compensating e flats that still have good valves, and (blasphemy warning) I think new JP valve sets might be put together a little bit better than Edgware Road valve sets were. Bill lucked out, but I probably wouldn't.

All of that having been said, I don't think a band is ever going to be formed here, and I would strongly politic to play the B-flat part anyway. When there are two tuba parts, I always view the lower one as the principal, and I like to drive the bus.
If I ever have some extra tuba money lying around, I’m calling you to order the tuba and bell and make it happen. No joke.

And if I don’t like it, I’ll sell back it to you at a fair price. 🤣🤣🤣

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Tuba Copper. Houston Brass: :clap:

A section mate or now local player should be available to help?

Brass Band parts available here: https://www.justmusicuk.com/publication ... ls/JM36887
A piano accompanied version is also available.
Doc

Post by Doc »

2nd tenor wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:43 am Tuba Copper. Houston Brass: :clap:

A section mate or now local player should be available to help?

Brass Band parts available here: https://www.justmusicuk.com/publication ... ls/JM36887
A piano accompanied version is also available.
Former section mate. This was recorded a few years ago before I came back to the band. We played Eb bass together a number of years back. Fine player, fine fella.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Doc:
Thanks for the comment on the Barber. For phone listening, it does sound better on headphones or good speakers, particularly the pedal C at the end. Despite being a not-perfect performance, it was a really, really nice music-making experience.
You’re most welcome. In general I’m a bit too picky and critical for my own good and as a rule I never bother listening to other Bands - the fun is in playing yourself rather than listening to other folk. However, I’ve listened to quite a few recordings of Houston Brass and been very pleased to do so, some great stuff there. Praise where it’s due and I’d encourage other BB enthusiasts to visit Houston BB’s YouTube account.
These users thanked the author 2nd tenor for the post:
Doc (Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:34 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

As far as the appearance of the receiver (which is just pictures and no measurements), it "looks" (??) like the classic POST-small-receiver compensating tuba receiver (which - in my experience with these...and various makes - accommodates both small and standard shank).
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Doc (Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:35 am)
Doc

Post by Doc »

2nd tenor wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:12 am Doc:
Thanks for the comment on the Barber. For phone listening, it does sound better on headphones or good speakers, particularly the pedal C at the end. Despite being a not-perfect performance, it was a really, really nice music-making experience.
You’re most welcome. In general I’m a bit too picky and critical for my own good and as a rule I never bother listening to other Bands - the fun is in playing yourself rather than listening to other folk. However, I’ve listened to quite a few recordings of Houston Brass and been very pleased to do so, some great stuff there. Praise where it’s due and I’d encourage other BB enthusiasts to visit Houston BB’s YouTube account.
Have you checked this out:

Texas Brass Fest
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!