Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
WC8KCY

Re: Favorite band experiences?

Post by WC8KCY »

In my junior year of high school, our band took a summer trip to our director's hometown, Cincinnati.

I had by that time composed, arranged, and hand-prepared all the individual parts for a concert march, and we premiered he work at a bandshell down there.

What an unforgettable moment in time for me--still a kid, and hearing my own music being performed by a full band.

I've went on to do some great things musically since then, but I don't think I'll ever top that.
These users thanked the author WC8KCY for the post (total 4):
arpthark (Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:46 pm) • bloke (Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:03 pm) • Jim Williams (Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:18 pm) • Three Valves (Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:43 pm)

Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:29 pm

None of these kids appear too be particularly overweight.

Obviously, the village must have baked grainy bread for them every morning and showered them with wealth and privilege.

:coffee:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

:laugh: ...yeah...We were actually white-bread-privileged.

These privilege-chateaus are across the street from the high school:

upgrades since "then"...
- plastic window awnings
- concreted driveways
- steel security doors (damn good idea)

weight/size:
If you ate too much of the food, your siblings would beat the $h!t out of you.
What was there was there, and it had to last until the next Saturday's trip to the grocery

The girl in the front (four from the right - camp picture - holding the oboe) was a really good friend - as was her Dad. He was the shop teacher and played all the various saxophones. He also liked fixing up (not repainting) funky late-50's early '60s budget-grade British sports cars (MG Midgets, Austin-Healy Sprites, etc.) His wife (a strikingly beautiful woman) was a teacher at another school, and he kept her in brand-new Cadillacs.
He fixed up one of those British sports cars (a little red Sprite) for my friend to drive and - when she would head over to my place to pick me up (she lived a mile away), I could hear her start that Sprite, heard every gear change, and knew when to step out to the curb to jump in. She also played piano in the jazz band. The windshield wipers had a toggle switch. Of course, the choke was manual (etc., etc...) She liked to drive fast and take curves and corners as fast as she could...

...Back then, you could pick up non-running cars like these for $100 or less...maybe $50...

I've posted this one before, yes...??
My Mom's 400 cu. in. '71 Catalina...which she rarely drove, and which I loaded up the odometer (but never faster than 120 mph...)
The trunk (not nearly as large as a Star Chief or Bonneville trunk) accommodated the sousaphone case with ease.

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
WC8KCY (Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:13 pm)