New Alexander Tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
matt g

Re: New Alexander Tubas

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:18 pm yes...Thank-you.
Your knowledge allowed me to view a picture on their website.
I dug around some as well, but it looks like any of Dale’s photos have been pulled from listings, understandably so.

Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

That thing is so sexy, and the closest thing that Alexander has ever made to a piston C tuba.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Needs a longer and taller leadpipe.

:smilie8:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It needs…
...to be sitting in this room.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

We all had our chances!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...
...but I would just like to own it, without having to pay for it.
Whoever owns the somebich needs to send it to me to check it over, and “no rush“.
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

I got to play an early version of the Alexander 173 at the International Brass Congress back in the 1980s. Anton Alexander was there and he was asking me questions about what I thought about this tuba. I liked the tuba (and gave him specific reasons why). I also showed him and played my Alexander 163 for him. Meeting and talking to Mr. Alexander was special, he was a very nice person that was interested in what people thought about his instruments.

Best,
Mark
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)
jtm

Post by jtm »

It looks so ... orderly!
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

jtm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:17 am It looks so ... orderly!
' seems like MOST rotary tubas should be (have been) configured in that manner...
...as "rotary" and "piston" bodies could be virtually interchangeable.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote:
' seems like MOST rotary tubas should be (have been) configured in that manner...
Yabbut, the rotors on the conventional side means water drains out of the first and second slides, rather than into them.

Rick “who never has to spin his B&S” Denney
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Rick Denney wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:55 pm
bloke wrote:
Yabbut, the rotors on the conventional side means water drains out of the first and second slides, rather than into them.

Rick “who never has to spin his B&S” Denney
...but isn’t it the job of the tuba player to redirect light from the floodlights into the eyes of the expensive “orchestra” seating section patrons...and to make clanking noises during oboe solos?
After all, there really aren’t many other things to do up there…
After all, these tubas are expensive instruments…nearly 8% the cost of a somewhat OK cello.
tclements
Has thanked: 0

Post by tclements »

When I was selling tubas for Alexander, I had one custom built for myself. This is the horn: 163 CC, 6-valve. The 5th valve was a long whole tone, 6th valve was a long 1/2 tone, together they were like the old 2 tone 5th valve (so I could play it like my old Miraphones). It was a brass tuba, with an unlacquered gold brass bell. The leadpipe was NOT soldered to the bell. No strap hooks on the horn. This was GREAT tuba. It was sold when I sold the Low Brass Werks to the Horn Guys, who sold it to a young tubist. I had NO intonation problems with this instrument, aside from the usual flat 5th partials: c# & d and eb and e with their 2nd and open fingerings. With 6 valves, there was ALWAYS a fingering that worked. Loved the sound, too. Wish I still had that horn .... 🙁
Doc

Post by Doc »

tclements wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 pm When I was selling tubas for Alexander, I had one custom built for myself. This is the horn: 163 CC, 6-valve. The 5th valve was a long whole tone, 6th valve was a long 1/2 tone, together they were like the old 2 tone 5th valve (so I could play it like my old Miraphones). It was a brass tuba, with an unlacquered gold brass bell. The leadpipe was NOT soldered to the bell. No strap hooks on the horn. This was GREAT tuba. It was sold when I sold the Low Brass Werks to the Horn Guys, who sold it to a young tubist. I had NO intonation problems with this instrument, aside from the usual flat 5th partials: c# & d and eb and e with their 2nd and open fingerings. With 6 valves, there was ALWAYS a fingering that worked. Loved the sound, too. Wish I still had that horn .... 🙁
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
dp

Post by dp »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:54 pm Image
never shoulda sold that one, even worse, I passed on first right of refusal to get it back!
pfft (yes, that's for you)
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

All this Alex talk........... where's the "drooling" smilie?

Regarding 164s, I've played what I think was a very old 164 BBb or its predecessor. A while back, Baltimore Brass had that one and an Alex compensating F for sale in their collector horn category. The BBb had string-action rotors with the strings underneath the valve casings, with a very short stroke which I liked. Like the F, and the BBb I already had/still have, it needed a valve overhaul- but what a sound! Someone got a real "diamond in the rough" when they bought it. I bought the F- one day, Dan Oberloh will finish the valve job.

Edit: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks, Mark!
Last edited by Heavy_Metal on Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

:drool: :drool:

Right here
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

What about just buying a nice shiny-new F rotary valveset from Meinlschmidt?
Further (if the rotor port spacing geometry is the same), I wonder if they might be willing to transfer over your original Alexander bows, crooks, and slides at their facility.

Rebuilt pistons (if done well) are REALLY good.
Rebuilt rotors (if done well) are PRETTY good.
Heavy_Metal wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:37 pm All this Alex talk........... where's the "drooling" smilie?

Regarding 164s, I've played what I think was a very old 164 BBb or its predecessor. A while back, Baltimore Brass had that one and an Alex compensating F for sale in their collector horn category. The BBb had string-action rotors with the strings underneath the valve casings, with a very short stroke which I liked. Like the F, and the BBb I already had/still have, it needed a valve overhaul- but what a sound! Someone got a real "diamond in the rough" when they bought it. I bought the F- one day, Dan Oberloh will finish the valve job.
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bloke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:27 am What about just buying a nice shiny-new F rotary valveset from Meinlschmidt?
Further (if the rotor port spacing geometry is the same), I wonder if they might be willing to transfer over your original Alexander bows, crooks, and slides at their facility.

Rebuilt pistons (if done well) are REALLY good.
Rebuilt rotors (if done well) are PRETTY good.
Heavy_Metal wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:37 pm All this Alex talk........... where's the "drooling" smilie?

We looked at that option and it wouldn't fit. By chance, he had another of these rare tubas at his shop for a valve job, so he's doing them both.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Doc wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 am This has probably been discussed ad nauseum previously, but...

How is the intonation on new Alex 163 CC tubas? I seem to remember discussion stating that they are WAY better with intonation, quirks, etc. Anyone have experience?

Has anyone played a new 163 BBb or a new 164 BBb (rare birds, to be sure)?
The intonation on the new 163 CC is MUCH better than the "vintage" one that I have - likely from the 70s. I now own 3 163s. The oldest is a BBb that was purchased by a friend in Pittsburg in 1969, and it was "very old" then. Someone told him 1917, but I'm thinking more mid 50s. It is absolutely spot on with pitch, and has the best sound of any tuba I have ever played. The 70s C is problematic, but manageable, when it comes to pitch. Adult fingerings help as does a lot of slide pulling. The new 163 seems to be as good as my 186, which is very well in tune. I've only spent a few minutes with the tuner on it, but I can tell the bottom line G is a tad low, but lipable - 1/3 makes it spot on. Same with mid line D. E and A below the staff are a couple cents high, but 3 is right on for them. I truly believe once I am used to the horn, I will be able to adjust with NO slide pulling and possibly with no adult fingerings at all. Sound? Pure Alexander. Best sound is the old BBb, a VERY close second is the new C. The vintage C I have to work at for that sound.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....