Horn Shopping- addiction and frustrations

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Horn Shopping- addiction and frustrations

Post by Rick Denney »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:46 pm I only react to a tuba's being called a horn because, well, a HORN is a horn. I fully realize I am howling in the wind about it, but that will not stop me from howling.
I do wish horn players would realize that "horn" is a general term that applies to most wind instruments. That's why their instrument used to be called the French horn, even though it isn't French. Hornists (no, I'm not going there) insisted on ending that practice and just calling it a "horn", but they didn't ask my permission first.

I suppose Benade should change the name of his book to "Horns (not just French, for Pete's sake), Strings, and Harmony".

Rick "so there!" Denney

Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:25 am blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Adding more words always makes things more clear.
"Cor Anglais", as another example, translates to "English horn", which of course means that the instrument was invented in England. :teeth:
It was either Peter Schickele or Anna Russell who observed that French horns are actually English and English horns are actually French. Probably Anna Russell--a bit too droll for PDQ Bach.

Rick "whose band director also used 'bass horn'" Denney
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Only in the American English dialect --- every other language that I know of assigns just "corno" or whatever to the HORN.

HOWL !!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

to well over 90% of the population:

"I play the horn" isn't specific.
"I am a tubist" means nothing.
humBell

Post by humBell »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:46 pm I only react to a tuba's being called a horn because, well, a HORN is a horn. I fully realize I am howling in the wind about it, but that will not stop me from howling.
Howl away! It is important to keep in full voice.

Fun fact: if you have a good ear, and are good at basic physics, you can figure out the wind speed by observing the doppler shift on your sound. Although i suppose you need to be able to point your bell both into and with the wind if you don't have an absolute sends of what your horn instrument is supposed to sound.
"All art is one." -Hal
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Actually that sounds like the kind of thing I could get intrigued by, so when you figure it out, let me know.

Meanwhile the chain saw I bought yesterday to try to clear out the debris from the last thunderstorm, is still in its box. Even at "only" 99 degrees out instead of 107, I am just not interested and if the neighbors are so incredibly upset they can come over and cut it up themselves, while I play my HORN as background. So can I figure out how fast I am swinging the chain saw in the air by putting a mike there and recording it as it goes by, based on the doppler effect?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:43 pm Actually that sounds like the kind of thing I could get intrigued by, so when you figure it out, let me know.

Meanwhile the chain saw I bought yesterday to try to clear out the debris from the last thunderstorm, is still in its box. Even at "only" 99 degrees out instead of 107, I am just not interested and if the neighbors are so incredibly upset they can come over and cut it up themselves, while I play my HORN as background. So can I figure out how fast I am swinging the chain saw in the air by putting a mike there and recording it as it goes by, based on the doppler effect?
Which horn? Your French horn or your tuba?

Rick "running away" Denney
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My Cor.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

bloke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:25 am As with the tuba, did the International Horn Society (perhaps, some of Phil's then-in-charge-of-it students - shortly after his death...) decide that a horn player is called a horist ?

"Cor Anglais", as another example, translates to "English horn", which of course means that the instrument was invented in England. :teeth:
It is one of the great ironies of music that the “English horn” is neither.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
humBell

Post by humBell »

DonO. wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:25 pm
bloke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:25 am As with the tuba, did the International Horn Society (perhaps, some of Phil's then-in-charge-of-it students - shortly after his death...) decide that a horn player is called a horist ?

It is one of the great ironies of music that the “English horn” is neither.

As irony means something different than "sharing characteristics with iron", i should observe that horny does too, before i get myself into (more) trouble...
"All art is one." -Hal
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

…and if, at a blues recording session, someone says, “We need a bigger horn section,” they are talking trumpets, trombones, and (oh, the horror) saxophones. I, for one, am willing to concede that “horn” has it’s origins in the Roman era cornu, the obvious ancestor to today’s French horn. I think we should be magnanimous and grant Mary Ann exclusive rights to the term as long as she agrees to wear the armor and bearskin whenever she plays it. :teeth:

These users thanked the author MikeS for the post:
Mary Ann (Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:28 am)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I was referring to my Cor Anglais, which is often referred to by those who play it, as their Cor.

I think oboists are more prima donna than horn players; both instruments are difficult, but my take on it is that double reeds are MUCH easier than brasses, and it is the reed making that is the difficulty, not the instrument.
tclements
Has thanked: 0

Post by tclements »

I wrote a post about this. Look it up!!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Does Walmart sell English horns yet?

... just in case you're considering upgrading.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Mary Ann (Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:31 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

bloke wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:41 pm Does Walmart sell English horns yet?

... just in case you're considering upgrading.
English Horn (Alto Oboe in F) at Walmart
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
bloke (Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:38 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yeah, but that one doesn't count it's not electric. :teeth:
donn

Post by donn »

Or possibly doesn't count because it's actually sold by "MAGIC-POWER TRADE US LLC." Interesting that it's made with synthetic wood, didn't know that anyone had synthesized wood and here it is.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

donn wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:35 am Or possibly doesn't count because it's actually sold by "MAGIC-POWER TRADE US LLC." Interesting that it's made with synthetic wood, didn't know that anyone had synthesized wood and here it is.
Here is what I understand about this. I offer no guarantees that I am 100% correct. Wood is crystallites of cellulose that are bonded together by a natural polymer called lignin. Synthetic woods use a variety of synthetic polymers to bind cellulose. The cellulose is usually regenerated from pulp. Buffet Crampon uses grenadilla sawdust bound with resin to make its Greenline clarinets.

There is a broader category called composite wood. This includes synthetic wood but also includes other combinations of wood and adhesives like particle board and plywood. Plywood can range from rough construction grade to very high quality laminates used in stringed instruments and furniture. I hope I don’t live long enough to see a particle board bassoon.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.