FS- Miraphone 182

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post (total 3):
jtm (Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:32 am) • DonO. (Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:19 am) • hrender (Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:02 am)

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: FS- Miraphone 182

Post by bloke »

tofu wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:37 pm
arpthark wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:28 am
bloke wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:18 am Due to the bell shape, it's not going to offer particularly convincing "false tones"
Sorry to hijack RenoDoc's thread, but could you elucidate? Narrower bell = worse false tones? Is that maybe why the false tones on a 3v compensating 17" bell Besson are kinda cruddy?
News to me. I've got a Besson New Standard from 1970 with superb false tones. Probably the best of any of the horns I own.

I'm not familiar with all the different names that Besson put on basically the same instruments over the earlier decades of my life, but if that Besson model is one of those big tall ones with a 17-in bell, that's nothing like a 182, so what's the argument?

I have basically the same Besson model here which I've been playing with the three valve compensating system on it, and eventually plan to transplant a four-valve compensating system. It's a detachable bell version with a 24-inch recording bell, but I also have a Yamaha 17 inch bell that I cut to fit it and installed a Besson male tenon. That's a big tuba with a big bell, and - with either bell - the false tones work great. Even King tubas - which are slightly smaller - produce really great false tones, but the 182 is smaller with a smaller bell.
Fortunately, it's a four valve instrument, so it has an easily-workable low E flat and D.

If we are arguing, tell me what we are arguing about - so I can do my half effectively.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:46 am I'm not familiar with all the different names that Besson put on basically the same instruments over the earlier decades of my life, but if that Besson model is one of those big tall ones with a 17-in bell, that's nothing like a 182, so what's the argument?

I have basically the same Besson model here which I've been playing with the three valve compensating system on it, and eventually plan to transplant a four-valve compensating system. It's a detachable bell version with a 24-inch recording bell, but I also have a Yamaha 17 inch bell that I cut to fit it and installed a Besson male tenon. That's a big tuba with a big bell, and - with either bell - the false tones work great. Even King tubas - which are slightly smaller - produce really great false tones, but the 182 is smaller with a smaller bell.
Fortunately, it's a four valve instrument, so it has an easily-workable low E flat and D.

If we are arguing, tell me what we are arguing about - so I can do my half effectively.
I think the argument was with me, and I must have been mistaken. Sorry to hijack the thread. Carry on. Bump for this 182!
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:06 am)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

tofu wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:55 pm
DonO. wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:15 pm Wish it was closer.
Amtrak stops right in downtown Reno. Ride the rails. See America. Stay at Harrahs. Gamble a bit. Eat cheap. Buy tuba. Get back on train with tuba. Do a bit of busking with tuba while on train to the delight & admiration of fellow passengers and also help pay for trip.

Get a Roomette and you'll have plenty of space for you and tuba with cases in your room. That Jacob Winter case just looks like a large suitcase and it rolls easily with a nice pull strap. Put soft case on back with your travel stuff in it. They won't ask about it. Don't ask Don't tell. Horn travels safely and cost is not much more than shipping and you get an adventure out of it to boot.
Sounds charming and all... but it's probably about 60 hours each way, and at least a few thousand dollars for the tickets.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:55 am
bloke wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:46 am I'm not familiar with all the different names that Besson put on basically the same instruments over the earlier decades of my life, but if that Besson model is one of those big tall ones with a 17-in bell, that's nothing like a 182, so what's the argument?

I think the argument was with me, and I must have been mistaken. Sorry to hijack the thread. Carry on. Bump for this 182!
makes much more sense...I was puzzled.

GO 182 !!!
RenoDoc

Post by RenoDoc »

When I got it there were two different ones. One of them broke a few months ago and it got replaced with a different color

quote=TheHatTuba post_id=74969 time=1694046448 user_id=1522]
Is it the lighting, or what's with the ball joints being different colors?
[/quote]
Andy Pasternak
Hirsbrunner HB7
Conn Naked Lady 14K
1918 York and Sons 33
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

Just making sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. Seemed odd given the instrument is in such great shape.
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

tofu wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:13 pm I believe he's retired. Not everybody is strapped for cash. It's a few grand - honestly not a lot of change for many people.
I think a few grand probably IS a lot of change for most people.

I mean, smoke 'em of you got 'em, but my incredible fun filled adventure doesn't involve doubling or tripling the cost of the horn to take an impromptu vacation to go get it. (And if that is normal, then maybe I'm in the wrong place.)

My opinion... just ship the damn thing. It's quite possible to do it safely, and there are lots of alternative options if you don't like FedEx, UPS, etc
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
arpthark (Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:56 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

All I said was “I wish it was closer”. Geez! :facepalm2:

An impromptu vacation sounds interesting, but with present life circumstances, not in the cards. I would definitely check the horn out if I could reasonably drive to try it out.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post (total 3):
MN_TimTuba (Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 pm) • arpthark (Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:29 pm) • jtm (Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:58 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

train trip ←→ buying a tuba...

non sequitur

"I'm going to buy a tuba from bloke, because I like Elvis, and - if I buy the tuba - I can visit both where Elvis was born and where he died - and both within an easy drive of blokeplace... the tuba? oh...I dunno... I'll have to ask bloke what kind it is."
Jbwilkeuph78
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jbwilkeuph78 »

Greetings, would love to chat a bit about this horn.
Seems like a good match for my junior high tuba player.
Thanks!
Jbwilkeuph@yahoo.com
RenoDoc

Re: FS- Miraphone 182- SOLD

Post by RenoDoc »

SOLD
Andy Pasternak
Hirsbrunner HB7
Conn Naked Lady 14K
1918 York and Sons 33
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Who took the train ride to get this one...?
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: FS- Miraphone 182- SOLD

Post by bloke »

RenoDoc wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:41 amSOLD
duh - a steal !!1

congrats to seller and buyer