Finish issue

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Re: Finish issue

Post by Mary Ann »

Looks like regular tarnish to me too -- and I'll be curious to see your results with paste wax because I may try something similar. I do NOT remember the Star tarnishing in the time I had it, but since I got it back from the environment that turned it black, it seems to be tarnishing all on its own, and I do not have acidic sweat and am certainly not resting any body part on the bell. Maybe I just didn't notice it before, but I am noticing it now, and would do something like put Turtle Wax on it if I thought it would preserve the finish and "do no harm."
I would never buy a new silver-plated instrument because of this problem, but both the euph and the Star were bought used and I took what I got, just like you did.

Is there any reason why silver plated instruments are not also lacquered?

Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I have also wondered about some sort of clear coating over the silver plate. I'm guessing that it will still tarnish...?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
donn

Post by donn »

Best I can make out, there isn't anything that will make a given silver plating more or less apt to tarnish, short of some kind of sealant. I mean, some metals form their own protective oxide layers, but not silver.

While a sealant will work - anything that doesn't itself have some reactive sulfur in it - it has the same liability as lacquer on brass. When it's compromised, you get a wretched splotchy effect.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I've had great results in the past with TarniShield, which both polishes and leaves a protective anti-tarnish coating on the silver. Throw some anti-tarnish strips in the case or gig bag and you should be good to go.