I'm struggling over the idea of selling my Holton 4/4 (same size as York 4/4 B-flat).

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
2nd tenor

Re: I'm struggling over the idea of selling my Holton 4/4 (same size as York 4/4 B-flat).

Post by 2nd tenor »

[quote=bloke post_id=81042 time=1701832185 user_id=82

- Admittedly, I'm looking around for things to sell, after propping up a couple of my don't-do-very-well-anyway adult children during the orchestrated economic shutdown.

[/quote]

This is a tough one. However maybe the real question is why aren’t my adult children doing better and how can you change that? You can keep bailing them out but what really needs to happen (too) is a change in what they’re doing … Just my perspective.

Here in the UK we had a shut down too. Tradesmen (plumbers, carpenters and electricians, etc.) had and still have more work than they know what to do with, makes you wonder.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: I'm struggling over the idea of selling my Holton 4/4 (same size as York 4/4 B-flat).

Post by bloke »

I know why they're not doing better, but I'm not going into that here, and it's nothing I can fix.

Thankfully, there's one that's just amazing...a better person/parent/musician/endless talents/genius than I could have ever hoped to have been.

By the way, I'm not barking at your comment from behind the internet wall. I'm just telling you how things are.

Merry Christmas to you and all.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:17 pm I know why they're not doing better, but I'm not going into that here, and it's nothing I can fix.

Thankfully, there's one that's just amazing...a better person/parent/musician/endless talents/genius than I could have ever hoped to have been.

By the way, I'm not barking at your comment from behind the internet wall. I'm just telling you how things are.

Merry Christmas to you and all.
It sounds like you’ve already asked the question and have your answer(s).

I suppose the other question is how much money does that Tuba earn you and is that enough to cover interest payments on a credit card bill of the same amount? Debt happens, but I really do hate debt and likewise the uncertainty of being able to service it over the coming months and years.

You’re a clever chap, exceedingly hard working, a very able musician and a very able brass technician. I can’t help but think that (any of) a spread of instruments would do the job for you; what gets damaged you’ll repair; and (that if you sell) some worn replacement Tuba will cross your path for a minimal price which by your hands will be made into an excellent player. Perhaps my assessment is wrong, but if not then it might help solve your dilemma.

I hope that the above is helpful and wish you well.