Tuba Christmas Chicago

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
humBell

Re: Tuba Christmas Chicago

Post by humBell »

MikeS wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:16 pm ...

And yes, there is a Portland, Ohio, where Ohio State and Ohio University tuba players might attend a TubaChristmas (tm) at the Buffington Island Battlefield Memorial Park.
Strange... i can't find this Buffingon Island tuba christmas on the website.

http://tubachristmas.com/readtcloc.php?TCState=OH

"All art is one." -Hal
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

humBell wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:06 am

And yes, there is a Portland, Ohio, where Ohio State and Ohio University tuba players might attend a TubaChristmas (tm) at the Buffington Island Battlefield Memorial Park.

I did say might attend. :-) It does look like Portland, Oregon is the only Portland that hosted a TubaChristmas this year. It could be an interesting challenge to try to have a TubaChristmas in every Portland in the U.S. I count 24 including two in Colorado and two in Wisconsin. It would be easier than doing all 67 Springfields.
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

kingrob76 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:37 pm After 40 years of having several available to me in the DC area, I'm proud to admit I've never to been to a Tuba Christmas and don't ever see myself going to a Tuba Christmas. There's a really big part of me that just sees it as something for people to gawk at or make fun of, and I feel no need to add to either of those things. The mass ensemble idea also doesn't appeal to me - I've stayed away from mass "reading sessions" for the same reason. If there's 100 tuba and euphonium players in the room, it doesn't matter how well or poorly you play, the mass effect is still the same. I'd rather play a quintet gig and read down the Rasmussen book for the 812th time.
Come to the Bel Air, MD TubaChristmas next year! Our audience doesn't "gawk" like that.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
humBell

Post by humBell »

MikeS wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:08 pm
humBell wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:06 am

I did say might attend. :-) It does look like Portland, Oregon is the only Portland that hosted a TubaChristmas this year. It could be an interesting challenge to try to have a TubaChristmas in every Portland in the U.S. I count 24 including two in Colorado and two in Wisconsin. It would be easier than doing all 67 Springfields.
Sorry to give ya a hard time about it.

I have yet to make it to a Portland tuba christmas, but a friend in the area did hold up a little cut out on a stick of me playing a tuba, and attended that one a year or so ago, and took pictures of that, so maybe i've been present in spirit? kind like the blue ghost of Obi-Wan in Star Wars?

And i approve of the ugliest tuba award, coming with a repair gift card.

But i digress.

As Chicagans are perhaps (more) likely to know, what's Kalamazoo like? Is it worth makin' a effort to check out?
"All art is one." -Hal
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humBell

Post by humBell »

tofu wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:03 am
humBell wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:12 pm
MikeS wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:08 pm

I have yet to make it to a Portland tuba christmas, but a friend in the area did hold up a little cut out on a stick of me playing a tuba, and attended that one a year or so ago, and took pictures of that, so maybe i've been present in spirit? kind like the blue ghost of Obi-Wan in Star Wars?

But i digress.

As Chicagans are perhaps (more) likely to know, what's Kalamazoo like? Is it worth makin' a effort to check out?
Why would Chicagoans have a clue of what Kalamazoo is like? It’s over 2 and a half hours away. You’d be better off asking Glen Miller - pretty sure he had a Gal in Kalamazoo…interestingly enough that song written in 1942 and featured in of all things a 1942 film called “Orchestra Wives”. Can’t wait for the sure to be block buster sequel - “Tuba Player Mistresses ”. :smilie6:
You wouldn't happen to have Glen Miller's contact info, would ya?

And you're right, my question is really addressed to this entire forum of tuba folk of one sort or another. I guess i was making a pathetic attempt to stay on the nominal topic.

So... Anyone know what a gal anything worth sharing about this Kalamazoo tuba christmas, independent of your proximity to the event?

PS I just mighta traveled more than 2 and a half hours to get to a tuba christmas. But i suppose i don't count, as i'm not from Chicago.

PPSS How many nested quotes until the site complains?

PPPSSS Is Kalamazoo on the Chattanooga line?
"All art is one." -Hal
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

The Kalamazoo TC used to(?) be held at Bell's Brewery, and was held outside regardless of cold weather.

Seems like it's moved to a different location, but still outdoors. If it's not at (near?) the brewery, it could be a whole different vibe. Not sure.

There's a guy on the other board, Brendan Bruce (sp?) aka BBruce107(?) who was (is?) in Kalamazoo. He might(?) know a thing of two about the current events. Or, even a thing or two about actual current events(?).*

So many parenthetical questions...

*What do electricians talk about after work?
Current events
Doc

Post by Doc »

humBell wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:24 am
tofu wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:03 am
humBell wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:12 pm

But i digress.

Why would Chicagoans have a clue of what Kalamazoo is like? It’s over 2 and a half hours away. You’d be better off asking Glen Miller - pretty sure he had a Gal in Kalamazoo…interestingly enough that song written in 1942 and featured in of all things a 1942 film called “Orchestra Wives”. Can’t wait for the sure to be block buster sequel - “Tuba Player Mistresses ”. :smilie6:

Maybe you’re thinking of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
humBell (Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:25 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When traveling in that general direction, I find that US-51, Rockville, Janesville, Beloit, and Watertown are some of my best friends.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

tofu wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:11 am
No -but the Choo Choo still stops in Kalmazoo.
Chattanooga isn’t on the Chattanooga line any more. Passenger service was discontinued there in 1971. The best you could do taking a train from Kalamazoo to Chattanooga involves changing trains in Chicago, then either Baltimore or Charlottesville, ending up in Atlanta and taking a bus for the final leg. It would take almost three times as long as driving and cost more than flying. (Big sigh)
humBell

Post by humBell »

MikeS wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:57 am
tofu wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:11 am
No -but the Choo Choo still stops in Kalmazoo.
Chattanooga isn’t on the Chattanooga line any more. Passenger service was discontinued there in 1971. The best you could do taking a train from Kalamazoo to Chattanooga involves changing trains in Chicago, then either Baltimore or Charlottesville, ending up in Atlanta and taking a bus for the final leg. It would take almost three times as long as driving and cost more than flying. (Big sigh)
Mighta been worth it... if we could also change onto the Pennylvania 6-5000.

Apropos of nothing...

Anyway, i knew i wasn't going to be at the Chicago tuba christmas this time, and while it is still possible i could tuba the Kalamazoo christmas, i don't expect to.

Thanks for enduring my inanity.
"All art is one." -Hal
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humBell (Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:01 pm)
humBell

Post by humBell »

In case anyone was wondering, Kalamazoo is worth going to.

For one thing, they didn't charge me $10. And i got a pin (normally $10 charge at events) that allowed me to wander round and enjoy the festivities we were a part of. Not to mention some fun tuba playing. No sousaphones though, so shall know what to bring next year if i'm up for it.

And the food truck sold something they called a Sausage Roll, but while it was definitely very tasty, it was a sausage in a tastefully toast hotdog style bun after the fashion of CMOT Dibbler, rather than the sausage baked into the roll of British origin referred to in the G&S song: Which is just as well, as i appreciate not getting involved with any dark and sinister plot purely on the basis of my food choice.

Oh yeah, happy new year all!

Still on my way back...
"All art is one." -Hal
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc (Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:39 am)
humBell

Post by humBell »

Sadly there was a roof over the performance space with stage lighting and whatnot.

Also we was early in the evening, do fireworks mighta been premature.

Which all was just as well, as i brought a shinier tuba, and am glad to have carbon scoring to deal with. And i am just as glad not to have had to drive later when the snow that has started might have a chance to accumulate.
"All art is one." -Hal