Kalison DS Characteristics

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
donn

Re: Kalison DS Characteristics

Post by donn »

daktx2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:43 pm Since it doesn't seem to be causing any acute problems I won't be desparately seeking a solution to the damage, but I'd definitely describe this as more than just a degraded finish.
More, in what sense - more hideous, or more impossible to fix? I think by now we all understand that it has some ironed-in wrinkles, the question I was trying to get at is the kind of problem that is, assuming it isn't going to get fixed.

Bort2.0 describes the attitude towards this that I've mostly had over the years, but ... I haven't been playing in super legit ensembles where everyone shows up in polished attire etc., and I'm not much of a perfectionist on looks just in general.

daktx2

Re: Kalison DS Characteristics

Post by daktx2 »

donn wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:16 am More, in what sense - more hideous, or more impossible to fix?
Fixing this was described to me as risky. Dana said that the approach he'd use to make an attempt as something like "first anneal to soften the metal, then slowly unfold each layer" but said that often, even under annealing, this results in tears that are an even bigger problem, requiring patches, etc.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba (for sale)
Kalison DS C tuba