Buzzing exercises

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Buzzing exercises

Post by bloke »

Which problems do I have other than (already admitted) sometimes not taking in extra air?
...Sometimes people take too long to pay me...

I didn't see any buzzing in the video. I heard someone talk about imagining the best possible trombone sound they could imagine and then imitating it with an actual sound (while playing their instrument).

I've studied with some pretty highfalutin people. Most everybody here in who knows who some of the highfalutin tuba players are. I contracted them based on how they sound when they play the tuba, and not based on their pedagogical techniques. We never talked about buzzing, but we talked a lot about music, and getting around music sounding too much like tuba playing.

again:
Play the instrument, take the instrument away while continuing to do the same thing with the mouth, no sound. That European trombonist was right, even if people don't like the fact that he was right.

I'm going to go ask some fiddle players I know who are really good if they ever do any free bowing, or run their bow across the edge of a yardstick to concentrate on only practicing bowing.

For the last day or two, this is been all the buzz:
Screenshot_20240705_212713_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20240705_212713_Messages.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 299 times

LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'll take my advice for teaching from teachers, thank you. That includes the euro conductor, who I think is full of crap on this subject

I don't tell you what tools work better for taking out dents, that's not my specialty. I'm sure once you found which tools work the best to achieve high quality results in an efficient time, you continue to use them over and over
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm a pretty good teacher, but I don't have the patience for it.
I was asked to teach at two different "University of's", did it for one year each, it drove me crazy, and I resigned at the end of the year both times. I was thinking about all the stuff that I could be doing instead of listening to young artists who didn't do their assignments given to them a week previous.
I've explained that before - several times. I barely have the patience for repairing stuff that other people tear up, but it pays really well. I have lots of patience for making nice sounds while sitting in a climate controlled room with other people doing the same thing. I'll do that for less money than fixing busted horns, and way less money than I would charge to teach.

Move the instrument away, continue doing the same thing with the mouth, no sound. Try it.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Doesn't mean anything. Make an amazing tone with the mouthpiece and then put the mouthpiece in the horn and use the same technique. you'll play with an amazing tone

Make a purposefully bad sound with the mouthpiece and then put the mouthpiece in the horn and use the same technique.

Try it

Buzzing is the x-ray into fixing problems that exist. I can hear someone buzz and "see" everything physically wrong with their playing, 35 years of experience does that to a person. Whet even more important than me hearing it is the students can hear it once I model what a buzz is supposed to sound like, which is why I start every lesson with echo Buzzing
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

All mouthpiece buzzing sounds bad. It might be amazing, but nobody pays me to do it. Actually let me take that back. Not counting the crap that we were subjected to in college I actually was paid one time to make those noises.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Good Buzzing has a specific tone. It's the goal you shoot for when doing it

Bad Buzzing has a tone too, if you sound like that, no amount of playing on the tuba will make your playing better
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Post.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

well said. and on that note....
Yep, I'm Mark