Tracking Devices

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
the elephant

Re: Tracking Devices

Post by the elephant »

Replaceable watch battery, one-year lifespan.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post (total 2):
hrender (Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:18 am) • York-aholic (Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm)

Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

the elephant wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:17 pm This shows how powerful these devices are.

Interesting video - the way DHL handled that “missing” package did not surprise me, in the least.

DHL is essentially the USPS of Germany and Europe. When it comes to shipping things of real value, I avoid using them at all costs, as I also do with the USPS.

FWIW, I had never seen an actual air tag until I watched that video, and it’s quite a bit smaller than I had previously imagined. I’m sure there must be some way to utilize it for shipping our horns around…?
(Personally I like the idea of affixing it inside the bottom bow, just out of sight)
cjk

Post by cjk »

I really hadn't been all that interested in airtags until this thread. Now I'm going to have to get some to play with.
These users thanked the author cjk for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:02 pm) • bloke (Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:39 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I may have to send some to some of my suppliers, so when important packages are sent all over the country willy-nilly - instead of to me, maybe I can drive to where those stupid packages are and collect them.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

…so maybe a set of aluminum bottom piston valve caps that are all extra tall, so that everything looks the same, and slip one of those inside one of them. They all would have a false bottom with a hole drilled in the middle, so that the springs function correctly.
Something similar could be devised as a set of aluminum rotary valve caps. I realize that rotary false caps would interfere with the nifty little Miraphone screw - which temporally addresses bearing wear.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

My wife better not ind a way stick one of those blasted things on me… :red:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Schlitzz

Post by Schlitzz »

I probably need a set. My shepherd is known for taking small important objects. Never thought about tracking packages, probably should fashion something for the travel cases.
Yamaha 641
Hirsbrunner Euph

I hate broccoli.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Three Valves wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:04 pm My wife better not ind a way stick one of those blasted things on me… :red:
Seriously, this is a genuine concern as they can be misused like this. If you discover one where it ought not to be, press down and rotate counterclockwise the silver cap with the Apple logo. Remove the cap. Take out the battery. Boom. Deactivated.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:42 pm)
Schlitzz

Post by Schlitzz »

the elephant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm
Three Valves wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:04 pm My wife better not ind a way stick one of those blasted things on me… :red:
Seriously, this is a genuine concern as they can be misused like this. If you discover one where it ought not to be, press down and rotate counterclockwise the silver cap with the Apple logo. Remove the cap. Take out the battery. Boom. Deactivated.
To confirm, this is about the device, and not the deactivation of the wife?
These users thanked the author Schlitzz for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm)
Yamaha 641
Hirsbrunner Euph

I hate broccoli.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

the elephant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 pm

If you find one where it shouldn’t be, maybe put it under the seat in some public transit and let it go for a ride…

:laugh:
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm) • the elephant (Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:13 am)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If Beale Street could talk...If Beale Street could talk
Married men would have to pack their bags and walk,
Except one or two - who never drink booze -
And the blind man on the corner...singin' his Beale Street Blues...
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm)
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

I always knew it as:

“And the blind man on the corner……who’s got his eye on youse”
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

(Assuming the “tracking devices“ topic is just about talked out…)

When I was a little kid in Memphis, all of the pawnshops were Jewish-owned - instead of corporate-owned - and they were all on Beale Street. When I was drafted into the high school jazz band, I needed a bass. My mother put on some *old clothes that she never wore any more – not even to work in the yard, drove me down there, parked way around the corner (so they could not see our pretty nice Pontiac - albeit our only car), and we negotiated $40 for a new Kingston (Japan) bass.
This was before “urban renewal” (mass bulldozing). Today, that street is very synthetic, and is much more dangerous a place than it was in the early 1970s.
I now also remember that there were some pretty nice things in that pawnshop… I remember an Elkhart Conn baritone saxophone - that was priced at $200… Of course (referring to the value of money), at that time there were still a few silver quarters and dimes in circulation.
* She also put on no make up, and mashed her hair down. This was probably very hard for her to do, and was completely against her nature - as she had been a fashion and magazine ad model. All of it, though, was her idea, and we didn’t even speak of it.
hrender

Post by hrender »

Interesting empirical study of using Airtags to recover a stolen item:

https://twitter.com/dguido/status/1424921645483966466
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I have one in my wife's Honda. The tracking is not great in our small town. iPhones are popular here, but due to the Third World economy here in Mississippi, most people seem to use Android phones, which are far less expensive and can be easily had with pay-as-you-go plans, which are very popular here.

Anyway, as to the anti-stalking features, her iPhone tells her every time she goes somewhere that there is an AirTag traveling with her, but she has not been on an eight-hour (or longer) one-way drive, so it has never started chiming at her. So at least the Push notification thing works. However, that sort of defeats the purpose if a car thief happens to have an iPhone on them at the time of the crime, as the phone will inform them that there is a tracker in the car. This could be good *and* bad. I think most thieves would pull over and perform a cursory search for the device; if it did not turn up they might abandon the car.

However, what will they do to the car in retaliation? I can see such a person angrily slashing up the interior or setting it on fire. (After all, dirty scumbags are dirty scumbags, you know.) Anyway, I am sure if they thought they were being tracked and were not part of a sophisticated car theft ring they would bolt pretty quickly. If they were part of a ring then ou can bet they have some way figured out to locate and disable these things (or stick them in a candy bar and toss it to a rat as Arnold did in "Total Recall"). Either way, the anti-stalking features make these safe to use, but also cut into their usefulness, in my opinion.

I will still use them in my cars and on my horns, but I do not place as much faith in them as I had initially hoped. They are very useful, but only up to a point. If you live in an area rife with iPhones and other Apple devices they are accurate and fast, but where I live they are not accurate and only report on occasion, as not many iPhone users will wander within range in the course of a day.

I would rather have them on my horns than not, though, as some protection is better than no protection, and the price is pretty good for what you *do* get, even out here in the sticks.

I have decided on a cage, using two half-round wire brace feet (like many German tuba makers use) with two screw sockets each. The feet would be fitted to the horn with the cage installed, and then soldered down. The cage is a base plate bent to fit, with four screw holes, a top (also bent to fit) with four screw holes, and four "finger screws" with knurled heads. I will install them inside the wrap of the tuba to the bell or bottom bow (or other places where the feet can be soldered down) where you can get to them to change the battery, but that is not something that will stick out to anyone other than another brass player as being out of place. This will be easy on a tuba, but would not be of much use on anything smaller.

So thanks for the discussion, folks. I like these things. I also like the Tile Slim (about the size of a credit card) that I keep in my wallet. That has saved me once, already, and was the reason I decided to give the AirTags a try.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
hrender (Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:02 am)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Security is not one single strategy, but a combination of strategies, each aimed at a different risk. It's impossible (read: unaffordable) to eliminate all risk.

By the way, if you get an inland marine policy (example: Clarion) with agreed-valve coverage, then it just requires an appraisal that supports the true replacement value. Those policies aren't super-cheap but they cover everything, even including simple misplacement.

Back to the original topic, I wonder if any thief would understand a tuba's architecture well enough to notice a small pocket-watch bag (to hold the device) wire-tied to an inner branch. Maybe mount the real one inside the bell and put a decoy on the outside. How would the typical thief know what is and isn't a normal part of the horn. Sew another one into the padding of the bag/case.

I'm reminded of Les Brass--the organization of a tuba is just spaghetti to most people.

Rick "nothing like posting a month after it doesn't matter any more" Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
the elephant (Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:16 pm)
hrender

Post by hrender »

the elephant wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:05 am So thanks for the discussion, folks. I like these things. I also like the Tile Slim (about the size of a credit card) that I keep in my wallet. That has saved me once, already, and was the reason I decided to give the AirTags a try.
Thanks for the ref to the Tile Slim. I had not seen one before this. It looks like a useful gadget.
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
the elephant (Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:16 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Rest assured that our rulers and large corporations have access to much smaller ones, but that we are denied access to such things for fairly obvious reasons.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

My thanks to the OP for this thread, I found some really interesting concepts plus one view into the diverse place known as the USA.
bort2.0 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:39 pm It's a neat idea, and I think some people would really like it. But for me, everything is replaceable. I may be pretty pissed off about it, but everything's replaceable. I wouldn't mind using something like this for shipping, but I wouldn't want anything permanently attached or even semi-permanently attached to the horn.
I think that I see where you’re coming from but, to my perspective you miss some points. The idea is to be able to reclaim stuff rather than go through the expense in time and money of repurchasing what was lost. I’ve a few inexpensive instruments that aren’t Tubas and they play well but that’s because I’ve invested time, energy and skill in changing them from as supplied to everything works really well. If they were stolen all I could reclaim, if they were insured, is their standardised market value which is a not large fraction of their value to me. As it happens the items aren’t insured - I only insure really expensive items that I couldn’t readily afford to replace - so it’s definitely best not to loose them and being able to find lost items is a real plus.
These users thanked the author 2nd tenor for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:33 pm) • bloke (Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 pm)