Baltimore brass closing

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
hrender

Re: Baltimore brass closing

Post by hrender »

Three Valves wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:21 am Not all workers are cut out to be owners, however.
This. A local bookstore, husband-and-wife owners, decided to cash out and sell their space and inventory rather than turn it over to then current employees. It gave the couple a retirement fund and, according to an interview I read, allowed them to walk away with their store's reputation intact. It's hard to let a business close, but it's also hard to turn it over to someone if you don't think they'll be able to maintain your standards. There are more than a few old businesses around that are simply old names attached to a very different team and operation. Better to let someone else start a new business with a new name.

Example: Schwinn vs. Waterford
These users thanked the author hrender for the post (total 3):
the elephant (Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:14 am) • prairieboy1 (Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:48 pm) • Ace (Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:59 am)

Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

I saw that on FB too. Super happy for Dave. He ran a great business, but this is also a hit for the tuba community. Always enjoyed his displays at conferences, and their help with things over the years. Wishing Dave and all the folks there well.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

The IDEA of having an employee buy the business sure is nice. But how many employees can make a business work when the much more experienced current owner can no longer make it work? I know it happens, but it does not happen often.

:coffee:

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

greenbean wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:10 am The IDEA of having an employee buy the business sure is nice. But how many employees can make a business work when the much more experienced current owner can no longer make it work? I know it happens, but it does not happen often.

:coffee:
The short answer is that the new owner doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't) run the business the same way it was previously run.
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Post by royjohn »

I am sorry to hear that BB is closing, but I guess it is a case of somewhat diminishing profit and a desire of the owner to retire.

I am alarmed by the post that mentions all the great sellers and repairers who are close to retirement and have no successors.

What I would say is that, in my experience, small businesses pay way too little attention to business succession. Yes, in some cases it is better for mom and pop to merely roll up the sidewalk and take down the shingle, but in the case of the tuba businesses, there are probably ways to train employees to take over or expand the scope of the business to where it would be viable enough to sell. I know that my friend Rich Ita, the brass repairman, has grown his business over the years and taken on and trained some very capable brass repair people. He also has a good business selling as a dealer for some new instruments as well as maintaining a good stock of used instruments and even historic ones. Atlanta is a big town, but not bigger than Baltimore, which is also near enough to DC and even reachable from NYC and environs. I think that there is prospect for a low brass showroom/repair facility in that area. Whether a buyer will be found in the short term is anybody's guess if there's a deadline on closing. :smilie6:

royjohn, tuba newbie at 75
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

royjohn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:30 pm royjohn, tuba newbie at 75
I agree with everything you said, but I can't get past how cool this last line is. :tuba:
hbcrandy

Post by hbcrandy »

Dave:

Best wishes in the future. Baltimore Brass Company, was a first-class source for all things musical including instrument sales, repair and performance instruction. Your business as well as you personally will be greatly missed.
These users thanked the author hbcrandy for the post (total 3):
Heavy_Metal (Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:54 pm) • Mark E. Chachich (Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:24 am) • Ace (Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:04 pm)
Randy Harrison
Retired Proprietor, Harrison Brass
Retired Instructor of Applied Brass Performance,
Maryland Conservatory of Music
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

Just heard a potential candidate to purchase BBC has surfaced and the store may be staying as it is....even the same name...
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post (total 2):
Three Valves (Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:21 pm) • York-aholic (Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:30 am)
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Sad to see the shop close, but I am wishing Dave a happy retirement.

I only bought one item from them, a tuba rest. On the day after I got it, I tried it out on a gig rehearsal and unscrewed the wrong knob slightly when loosening it and it came out. Then, I realized there were two knobs and I had unscrewed the wrong one. I e-mailed Dave asking about the use of the knob since it fell out and he mentioned it was a dummy knob, essentially an extra that wasn't needed, but since he stood by the product so much, he already had one boxed up and wanted to know my address. I had never seen such great service. I later met him at a conference where I got to talk to him. He was such a nice guy, enjoyable to talk to, and of course, very knowledgeable. His playing with Baltimore was fantastic (understatement of the year). I hope I can get to see him at future events,
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Post by royjohn »

bort2.0 wrote
royjohn wrote: ↑Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:30 pm
royjohn, tuba newbie at 75

I agree with everything you said, but I can't get past how cool this last line is. :tuba:
Thanks for the compliment, Brett, but I have to say that last line would really be even cooler if I
could play worth a damn! I will say that I am practicing about 50% of days because tuba practice
is not looked on with great favor by my life partner, but I do seem to be improving, if my ears
are to be trusted.
royjohn, tuba newbie who turned 75 about 35 days ago :tuba: :cheers:
jtm

Post by jtm »

royjohn wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:43 am ... tuba practice is not looked on with great favor by my life partner, but I do seem to be improving, if my ears are to be trusted.

royjohn, tuba newbie who turned 75 about 35 days ago :tuba: :cheers:
Would noise cancelling headphones help? I've had some normal over-ear noise cancelling headphones for several years, but recently I've been really impressed by how well the AirPods Pro do for noise cancelling, while being small and comfortable. They'll do noise cancelling even without any Apple device attached.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

hrender wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:16 am
Three Valves wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:21 am Not all workers are cut out to be owners, however.
This. A local bookstore, husband-and-wife owners, decided to cash out and sell their space and inventory rather than turn it over to then current employees. It gave the couple a retirement fund and, according to an interview I read, allowed them to walk away with their store's reputation intact. It's hard to let a business close, but it's also hard to turn it over to someone if you don't think they'll be able to maintain your standards. There are more than a few old businesses around that are simply old names attached to a very different team and operation. Better to let someone else start a new business with a new name.

Example: Schwinn vs. Waterford
I used to road race in my younger days. I had several friends who owned bike shops at the time Schwinn filed for bankruptcy in '92. That is probably an example of a time when employees should have had a chance to take over. As the story was told to me by several bike shop owners, it was kind of a collective middle finger from bike shops everywhere. Schwinn was the big name player for decades and expected to be treated as such. Schwinn treated the shop owners as peons who were lucky to be carrying their brand in their stores. Around that time, American brands like Trek and Cannondale were taking a big bite out of the business (along with Tiawanese built bikes under "American" names) and treated the shop owners that carried their bikes with way more respect. When Schwinn started losing business to these other companies, the shop owners said we don't need you anymore. This is how the story was relayed to me anyway. Maybe someone else on here knows better.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

What is the topic here, currently?
jtm

Post by jtm »

headphones that cost more than $5, I think
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
bloke (Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:44 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

jtm wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:37 pm headphones that cost more than $5, I think
thanks... :smilie8: :thumbsup:

OK...Off I go with my contribution, then:

SOTA $300 - $500 headphones: great for audiophiles who love to listen to music

~ vs. ~

20-year-old Walgreens $5 headphones: whereby bloke can listen to some well-enough-played non-familiar-to-bloke recording of some (probably) fairly recently-composed piece on youtube, watch the tuba part (or score, if that was sent as well) go by a few times, and - at the reading rehearsal - be ready to go (without doing all of the typical tuba-dolt wrong-entrances and getting-lost things). Alternately, bloke can listen through them (also on youtube) and be quickly reminded of how the funky bass lines go on some NOLA brass band tunes that bloke may not have played since the beginning of the plannedemic.

bloke "I seem to be able to remember chord progressions much better than I do funky NOLA or R&R bass lines...OK: "Gimme Some Lovin' "...I can remember that one. :thumbsup:

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I am quite happy with my over-ear Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, quite possibly because my ears stick out a little bit and these don't squash them painfully to my head. Plus they have pretty decent sound.

However, I am not an audiophile and the sound quality of the cymbals does not affect my listening pleasure.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I have nice headphones that have particular features, but there are also headphones that measure very well that are not in the hundreds. But maybe they are a bit better than headphones that cost $6.

Wait, what are we talking about?

Rick "I thought this thread was about the viability of Oldsmobile big block engines in 2022" Denney
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

This thread has clearly been derailed.