sorely underplayed wind band works

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Heavy_Metal

Re: sorely underplayed wind band works

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Mark E. Chachich wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:14 pm..................Victory at Sea (Richard Rogers, Arranged by Robert Russell Bennett) I got to play this under Robert Russell Bennett and it was a great experience!
Mark and I also played this with our band, in a concert at a retirement community a few years ago. It brought one 90-something gentleman to tears. He'd served in that war, and was really moved to hear us remember his generation's signature accomplishment by playing this piece. It was a moving experience for us too.

This is one big reason we play music.

For those not familiar, "Victory at Sea" was one of the first TV documentaries. It was quite advanced for 1952, when it came out, and holds up well today. I'm pretty sure you can watch all the episodes on YouTuba. Highly recommended.
These users thanked the author Heavy_Metal for the post:
Mark E. Chachich (Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:10 am)

Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
bearphonium
Has thanked: 0

Re: sorely underplayed wind band works

Post by bearphonium »

Jperry1466 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:24 pm
bloke wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:53 pm I'm not in control of this thread and I'm not trying to be but can we just say marches, whether Sousa, Fillmore, King, Alford, circus marches, British marches, German marches, French marches, Scandinavian marches, Italian marches, and all sorts of special concert marches...??
Two more pieces come to mind: the transcription of Ketelbey's "In A Persian Market" (anyone heard that in the last 50 years?) and, believe it or not, the Vaughn-Williams "English Folk Song Suite". I arranged a couple of movements of that for our tuba ensemble and was surprised to learn that only 2 of our 9 members had ever played or even heard of it.

Interesting; we are playing "English Folk Song Suite" for our spring concert with Eugene Symphonic Band next month
Making Mischief in the back row!