ergonomics and 6/4 piston "York"-style C tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
arpthark

Re: ergonomics and 6/4 piston "York"-style C tubas

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:13 pm
- With the 24" inch detachable bell (vs. the more original-ish 17" upright bell which I "created") it's a WONDERFUL large-ensemble/outdoor performance/no-shell/no microphones instrument.
I have been intrigued by this setup since you mentioned it. Do you find there is a large tuning discrepancy with the ~7" of added bell?

My worry would be not having enough slide to push in, because of outdoor summer temps + pre-existing community band sharpward tendencies.

Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: ergonomics and 6/4 piston "York"-style C tubas

Post by bloke »

The tuning doesn't budge when I swap out the bells.
The 24-in bell is original, but when I put on the 17-in bell - which I made from a male Besdon collar and a vintage Yamaha 201 Bell chopped off (which complete copy of Besson), I've thenconfigured the instrument exactly as the fixed upright bell version.