At a Crossroads with Playing....

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: At a Crossroads with Playing....

Post by Three Valves »

Doc wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:21 pm
Sensucht und Liebe
:cheers:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Doc (Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:24 am)

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Dbl Post.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Leaning towards staying on BBb guys. I have run all the numbers and scenarios (for me personally including my financial situation and geolocation) and even though the best CC tuba is available to me with little monetary risk, I don't want to be away from professional type gigs and rehearsals studying a new horn at this time. I should have done this in say...April 2020 when I had 17 months of down time but who knew right?
These users thanked the author KingTuba1241X for the post:
Doc (Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:24 am)
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:55 pm
Rick Denney wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:29 pm 1. It’s not “throwing a switch.” It’s learning a new instrument, from scratch
I don't believe (after encountering quite a few people over the last 65 years) that all brains/minds work the same way.
Your "not" may (or may "not"...??) be true, depending on the brain/mind....
Well, let me revise that, then, by saying "For guys like you and me, it's not throwing a switch."

If the OP was brilliant with languages and found it easy to learn fingerings for another pitch, he might not have been tempted to start the thread.

But even for those who find it easy, the process is, I think, the same, unless they want to use brain cells transposing all the time. Maybe their brains do that readily enough an unconsciously enough that it doesn't matter, but after months or years of going it, they may find that their brains aren't doing it any more, and they are playing the instrument as it is instead of as it differs from something they already know.

Those who find it easy, however, just go through that process a lot more quickly and unconsciously.

It's true for those who find it easy to learn languages, as well.

Rick "who does not find it easy to learn other languages, having devoted his energies to learning one well" Denney