NStar

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
Mary Ann

Re: NStar

Post by Mary Ann »

And I just got an email from Matt Walters that the new one he was holding for a customer is now available. Aaargh. It would have cost more than I paid to get mine back, but would have been new.

2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Ain’t that life. You wait an hour for a bus and then two show up, etc. The more ya push things through, get results an’ stuff, the more ya wish you’d taken a bit more time and let things fall into place by themselves. On the plus side the one you have (still) cost you less and you know how it plays, the one with the dealer might be shiny but maybe it’s not other things. Commiserations though, I’m in the UK but sill sensed the grief from here :gaah: .
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post:
Mary Ann (Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:07 am)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:26 am And I just got an email from Matt Walters that the new one he was holding for a customer is now available. Aaargh. It would have cost more than I paid to get mine back, but would have been new.
If you've always wanted a brand new tuba, then this is your golden opportunity. Sell yours and buy the new one. Not to be rude or ageist... but if not now, then when? If you're okay with "never," or can't afford it, or think it would all be risky or too much work/streas... Then I totally get it. You've already got an excellent tuba.

But if it's a matter of some $, and just not sure if you want to spend your $ on that... But could if you wanted to... Well that's different in my eyes.

My dad is basically your age, he recently turned 75. He's never been one to spend much on things, but lives well (too well) within his modest means. He's careful about his money, but I do tell him the same thing... If not now, then when?

I think this is the classic win-win situation for you. Enjoy the torment of guaranteed success. :smilie7:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:26 am And I just got an email from Matt Walters that the new one he was holding for a customer is now available. Aaargh. It would have cost more than I paid to get mine back, but would have been new.
PS -- isn't Matt a heckuva guy to remember to email you and tell you about it? :tuba:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
humBell (Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:07 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Yes, certainly. Although I had asked him to when I wrote to find out if they had one; he said they had one coming in but it was spoken for, and I said if the person backs out would you put me next in line. So he did.

It's ok, except I am having a time finding anyone locally who will "appraise" the Star for me. "We're not Miraphone dealers so we can't do that." Well, if I had a local Miraphone dealer this whole saga would have had a different ending.

Yes, Matt is a great guy. I've worked with him before --- bought my first real tuba at Dillon Music.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It doesn't require a dealer to appraise, particularly not used stuff.
I suspect that they just don't want to.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

My suggestion -- get Matt to generate a price quote on their letterhead for your exact tuba (silver Norwegian star) based on today's list price. Send that to Clarion.

Let them tell you it's not what they need, or choose to accept it. After all, it's up to them how much they want to agree to pay out, right? :tuba:
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

What exactly are the issues with the newly re-acquired NS that are prompting your reselling it? Did the last owner totally neglect it’s upkeep and/or somewhat trash it to a degree?
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

When did she say she was selling it? Did I miss something?

She probably wants an appraisal so she can add it to her insurance plan
Yep, I'm Mark
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

A probing question with possibilities……..?
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

might (??) have just been allowed to turn black (tarnish)...actually a (ugly to some) protective coating...of sorts.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Yadent wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:34 pm What exactly are the issues with the newly re-acquired NS that are prompting your reselling it? Did the last owner totally neglect it’s upkeep and/or somewhat trash it to a degree?
Just need the appraisal for the insurance company. Got one, all is well, I'm having fun, people are commenting on how gorgeous it is (and the usual person in the NH band who sits next to me and plays euph, said "thank you" after the rehearsal like he always does. I think he likes having the beat there.)

It does require more air than the 183, and I find lungs sucked empty below the staff. I think the 183 is the first tuba I ever had where I had enough air to play it down low. Perhaps what I need to find is an even smaller throat mouthpiece.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:13 am ...
It does require more air than the 183, and I find lungs sucked empty below the staff. I think the 183 is the first tuba I ever had where I had enough air to play it down low. Perhaps what I need to find is an even smaller throat mouthpiece.
@bloke's new cimbasso/small tuba mouthpiece might be appropriate for you?
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

I’m actually glad you are keeping the ‘old’ NS. There was an ‘undertone’ within the dialogue that possibly indicated a preference for the new NS at Dillon. In any regards, I’m sorry I didn’t jump at the initial chance to buy yours……..it would still be in my stable.😁

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The two NSs I have played, played the same for all intents and purposes. The other one sits next to me in the brass band and is lacquered. I just wanted whatever one I could get sooner, and it turned out to be the one I used to have. It IS prettier in silver though.