Name a BBb that:

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Name a BBb that:

Post by LeMark »

That valveset does look a lot like the Meinl 25, doesn't it? Different bore, but still

I would be interested in try either the RA or the FA. Not sure they bring them to shows or not, I've neve gone to a show and tried a bunch of BBb tubas

Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Sometime, I need to finish fixing up my (real) Mahillon, and see if some jazz musician or anything musician would like to own it.

The genuine instrument pistons are raw nickel silver. I was trying to get them plated, but it was one of the sets that was sent back from Anderson, because Dave's retirement date was prior managing to get to this set. It really doesn't matter, the pistons aren't worn. Just thought it would be a nice touch for them to end up being plated.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

What was that Meinl/getzen (west Germany) l version tuba that was a small 3/4 tuba with 4 upright valves? I remember picking a couple of them up and bringing them to your house. One of those was the 1st tuba I ever played. But when I played one years later, I thought it was a darn respectable tuba
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm getting my hopes up that I'll be able to play a 2011FA GRAVITY at either the army workshop or TMEA. After playing my York for a few months now, I'm feeling better about buying a piston valve BBb, especially if it's a smaller bore horn

Hagen 494 is still my #1 choice, but the 2011 is next in line
Yep, I'm Mark
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

The gravity... Less said about it the better. I picked it up and played it for a matter of seconds before I put it down and walked away. Way too stuffy

The pt2p valves were sluggish, didn't even pick it up

The hagen played so well it was practically a religious experience. Without a doubt it was the best BBb tuba I've ever put to my face, and probably one of the best tubas period. If I hadn't spent my tuba money today on the Norwegian star (which was a major upgrade to my York) I would be coming how with that. As it is, I can play another year with my "very nice" Packer 379b and save up for the "freaking incredible" 494.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:17 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
LeMark (Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:56 am)
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

I'll be going to the exhibit tomorrow. But I thought the Miraphone 494 I played last year was really good too. I'm hoping that Mary Ann gets a chance to try another one to see if her opinion will change. Of course nothing wrong if her opinion doesn't change too.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I still contend that something was wrong with the one she played. She said when she pushed the 4th valve down, she couldn't blow air through the horn.
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

tofu wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:10 pm

You’re killing me with this 494 talk. Now I want to try one. I wasn’t even thinking of needing another horn. :gaah: I’m still baffled as to where this thing fits in. Is it vying in the same space as a 2341, but on a smaller side? It’s surprising how different your impressions are vs Mary Ann. I know different horns for different folks, but these 2 impressions seem to be polar opposites.
I don't think of this horn as being 2341 at all, but I guess you could make the case for a smaller bore that expands into a larger stack than say the 185. The 2341 may have more of a broad sound because of the 20 inch bell, but the clearness and nimbleness, while avoiding being bright, is incredible
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I'm surprised about the 494. Glad to hear it!
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

I’m enjoying this Eastman 825vg. Worth a try.
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

tofu wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:10 pm
You’re killing me with this 494 talk. Now I want to try one. I wasn’t even thinking of needing another horn. :gaah: I’m still baffled as to where this thing fits in. Is it vying in the same space as a 2341, but on a smaller side? It’s surprising how different your impressions are vs Mary Ann. I know different horns for different folks, but these 2 impressions seem to be polar opposites.
I believe the conclusion is that I got a lemon. It appears to have had something stuck inside it BEFORE I got it, and was sent to me anyway. $600 shipping down the tubes (It was NOT from Dillon.) Not a happy camper. It's not me -- I have never, ever encountered resistance in any of the tubas I have ever played, that even vaguely resembled the resistance I encountered in this one.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

MikeMason wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:46 am I’m enjoying this Eastman 825vg. Worth a try.

Just did. VERY good tuba. Little bigger than what I'm looking In a teaching tuba, but a quality instrument
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

One of the worst tubas I ever played was a Miraphone 188. I couldn't make heads or tails of it, and it sounded like I had never played the tuba before. And a weird water/flutter sound I couldn't seem to drain to resolve.

Spin the tuba...

Out falls a single styrofoam peanut.

Then...

Glorious sound, absolutely excellent tuba.
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

The bell is 18.5, but the Miraphone 191
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I have to say the Eastman 534 is an amazing BBb as well, and made me question the statement that the Hagen was hands down my favorite Bbb
Yep, I'm Mark
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

It’s been a while, but I remembered how shocked I was by how easy low f was. If there was a fifth valve option, some pros might consider. I think they are selling every one they can possibly make to the school market.so why change.
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I was shocked how much better it was than the last time I played one. They have made some major tweaks in this horn to improve it from good to great
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

New BBb tuba arrives tomorrow! I always think I'm going to be patient Enough to do an unboxing video and play test, but I always tear into any new tuba like a 4 year old on Christmas day
Yep, I'm Mark