Rudolf Meinl vs

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
arpthark

Re: Rudolf Meinl vs

Post by arpthark »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:45 am The Lidl tubas look nice, although they still have that nearly-horizontal 5th valve paddle that I never liked on the Cerveny tubas. I'm sure that's not too hard to fix, but I've never quite understood it. Maybe it's just me!
It's just a Lidl bit of a problem.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
Mary Ann (Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 pm)

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

^^^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Boo that man!
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
arpthark (Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:18 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mein'l not have that problem.
BoerkeNys
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BoerkeNys »

Hi, I play an old Rudi 4/4 BBb with only 4 rotary valves. We bought it second hand 30 years ago for 100.000 BFR, that’s 2.500 €. For years I used Dennis Wick mouth pieces and I liked it, though it was hard to play with nuance and even harder to articulate fast. But for what I needed, it was ok.

A few years ago I bought a batch of 5 used tuba mouth pieces - just because they were cheap - and I remember the first time I plugged in a Perantucci PT-65. It felt like a devine revelation (no god in particular, preferably none). The Rudi came to life. And I felt like a pro. Completely different feel, extremely flexible in volume and sound/colour, extended high range (still difficulties in the really low range, but hey, my lungs are getting old too).

And to complete my story, I have 2 ratty old (but charming) sousaphones (Bb/BBb) and they need 2 completely different mouth pieces…

So my tip for you, if you think you need a new tuba - or a second one - start playing on your trusted tuba and build embouchure, then make an appointment, go to the biggest shop in your neighbourhood with your tuba and try as many mouth pieces as you can on your tuba. When the skies open, you’re lucky, like me, and you just need a new mouth piece. And you surely will love playing it again. If not you start your search, try as many as you can (even those you can’t afford) (and with different mouth pieces!) and take your time. If it doesn’t feel like love at first sight (hear), it’s not the one.

I’m looking for a nice Eb, 4 (or 5) valves in one hand, as a little brother for Rudi. For maybe 3 years now. So hopefully soon …